cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Vacancies

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Job Vacancies

If you took a person who had average or above intelligence with a good work record and was keen and enthusiastic to develop further skills and his or her career why would a company prefer to advertise for external staff rather than train up one or more members of their current staff who they considered had the necessary abilities to undertake the job or jobs that were being advertised ?
Some companies do follow this practice but I raise the question because of the number of vacancies advertised by Plusnet, surely some existing staff could undertake appropriate training to do these jobs ?
Sensible answers please !
4 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Job Vacancies

We normally advertise and interview internally before going external.
Community Veteran

Fair enough, you have got to appoint the best person for the job but do internal candidates get the opportunity to develop their skills and qualifications to put them into a position which would give them a chance of getting the job ?
After all they were employed by Plusnet because they were the best in the first place.
James
Grafter

I think it will really depend on the job.  There are some roles (and a lot that are currently posted) where we need a certain degree of experience and so on.  However if we have someone that can work towards a similar role it will be common for that persons objectives to cater towards that fact and allow them to ability to progress to a similar role should another become available.
We do always prefer to promote internally where possible and we have a long list of names where this has been the case.
I imagine most companies are pretty similar with their approach to filling new roles Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
We do always prefer to promote internally where possible and we have a long list of names where this has been the case.

Fair enough, can't argue with that !  Smiley