Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job Centre Mobile App

David_W
Rising Star

Job Centre Mobile App

You really couldn't make it up linky
On Vodafone an iPhone costs £40 a month, contract free it's several hundred quid for the iPhone, so why on Earth would the government think "I know, lets develop an app for unemployed people and target it at mobile phones which are out of their price range?".  Apparently it's not even all that good an application, all it lets you do is search the database, if you find a job you like then you have to either get onto a PC or phone up the Job Centre for information, so I'm struggling to find a point for this waste of money.  With that in mind, wouldn't people with an iPhone just use their browser to go to the Job Centre website and you know, search?
6 REPLIES
craigyoung
Grafter

Re: Job Centre Mobile App

There's enough professional workers with i-phones who are now looking for a job to justify it on that basis.  But having said that, Job Centres are not oriented towards professional, office jobs, so it fails in that regard.   
If it allowed you to avoid having to go in to sign on every two weeks, not THAT would be worthwhile.  They're about the most dispiriting places I've ever been in.
David_W
Rising Star

I agree with you on all counts there.  There are a lot of professionals out there who are unemployed, but the sorts of jobs they want are indeed not in the Job Centre, quite a few will come from contacts, most will come from trade magazines or professional agencies.
The job centre in my town closed down, luckily I don't have to go to it, but now it's been moved to another town which travel expenses wise is probably going to be more expensive than keeping the job centre open.
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: ZX81
 But having said that, Job Centres are not oriented towards professional, office jobs, so it fails in that regard.   
If it allowed you to avoid having to go in to sign on every two weeks, not THAT would be worthwhile.  They're about the most dispiriting places I've ever been in.

Well , yes they can be dispiriting places but that is not the fault of the staff!  Having worked in one and put up with some of our "clients" for years and dealt with the stress of targets I was gald to retire - years ago when we just dealt with jobs it was so much better and staff were happier.  And the Tory government got rid of the Professional and Executive Register  which was a very good service back in the 80s.  JobCentre Plus does want jobs of all levels but employers would rather pay agencies than use a "free" service. 
In regard to mobile phone app - I think they have to try all sorts of ways to make sure people know about jobs being available but again in the old days when we as staff knew our regular keen genuine clients then I have even taken details of a job to someone's home so as make sure they could apply!  Now vacancies ar not even taken locally but at central points so locally the staff do not get to see vacancies until they have gone online.
Remember it is also dispiriting for people to constantly apply for jobs and not even get response from employers so then they don't see the point any more.  Then there benefit is withdrawn or reduced and things just get  people down. 
I could go on but won't  - but let me say that anything that can help someone get back to work is good.  And not everyone can afford i-phones!
craigyoung
Grafter

Not blaming the staff at all.  They've always impressed me, and I wouldn't want to do their job.  I just find the whole signing on process very spirit sapping - and it can be frustrating to have someone say "Have you tried looking on the internet for jobs?" or "try writing to companies you'd like to work for - it's what we call a speculative application".  Or pulling out a double glazing telesales job and saying 'this is a bit like marketing, isn't it?'
They perform a valuable role, but I just want to get on with finding my next job rather than spending too much time talking about the applications I've made over the last fortnight and watching occasional fights break out in the waiting room.  The best job centre staff for me have always been the ones who have acknowledged that they can't offer me much help, let me put my signature in the box and just wish me luck in finding something.  Which, fortunately to date, I've always done.
Anyway, best of luck to anyone who is looking for a job, with or without an i-phone.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I used to get hassle from one manager type, I used to sign on then have to go for the xx weekly "interviews" and he would complain that I wasn't using the JCP web site, when I told him if it returned jobs within the search criteria then I would use it, what use is a search for jobs within 30 miles that offers jobs 200miles away?
After 3 years of being unemployed I am no longer signing on as all I get is hassle and "my stamp paid" no money that stops after 6 months. Last time I visited for my review I was offered the "job club" I had visited once before and a more depressing place is hard to imagine. They offer guidance and papers and internet access. Well the local library offers 2 of these and is CLEANER.
Basically there are NO IT jobs within 30 miles of my location and to move I would have to sell my house, I used to commute 80 miles a day, for 10 years and gave it up as I was burned out with the commute and the attitude of my employer (BT) at the time. Now when I apply for an IT job I am told I have been out of the market too long  Tongue Undecided Even though they are still using XP or in some cases NT4!
I have applied for positions stacking shelves but when you have to put your previous salary and qualifications on the form they aren't interested. (I have a degree (BSc) that is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard, If I didn't have any then they would hire me I recon anyway.)
It has been suggested that I lie to try and get a job, as saying that I don't have a degree is not as bad as saying I do when I don't, if you know what I mean. Crazy
David_W
Rising Star

I do remember the bad old days of the Job Centre, the staff were nice but the jobs wages were awful.  Jobs with a wage of 80p/hour or a full working week for £60 (I applied for that one, but travel expenses would have taken up pretty much all that £60.....).
The question is though, should the government be spending money developing applications for what is basically a niche market.  There are millions of phones sold each year of which a smallish percentage are themselves smart phones, and of those smart phones Nokia holds something like 49% of the market so this application isn't even targeted at the majority of people (who own Nokia) but is targeted at Andriod and iPhones which are a minority in a minority sector.