cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jigsaw blades for perspex

Fixes: 125

Jigsaw blades for perspex

It's been a while since I have done any DIY but my daughter needs to replace the perspex glass in one of the internal doors and needs to cut the perspex sheet to size.

Should a special blade be used? If so can anyone offer some recommendations?

Thanks.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Jigsaw blades for perspex

Here's one source: http://www.uk-jigsawblades.co.uk/acrylic

Edit:

I've used these people to supply and cut plastic to size: http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/product/cut-to-size-clear-polycarbonate

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Bosch do a Multi purpose blade Thumbs Up but you need a Fine teeth for best results

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 125

Cheers. It's a Bosch jigsaw so now I know what is needed a trip to Homebase or B&Q should find what I want.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2u2me
Aspiring Pro

From experience any fine toothed blade should do, just make sure the perspex is well supported and and held down on either side of the cut, do not go too hard at it, as any jamming, jarring or jerking of the blade could cause a crack, (of the damage type not the wise).

I have also used a hand grinder but you must go steady with that, as the cutting disc can melt rather than cut through the perspex.

Minivanman
Hero

Rather than a jigsaw, if you are not sure (and those blades can be expensive) and assuming it's a straight cut and not a lot of it (two sides as the most?) - consider using a decent handsaw.

I did some last year for the greenhouse with no problems and getting a nice straight cut whereas my jigsaw even with the right blade tended to drift off... and even melt the perspex! A lot depends on the thickness of the material of course.

Good luck Thumbs Up 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.