cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Javelin Train

Community Veteran

Javelin Train

The new Javelin train left London today for the first time on a special run with passengers at speeds of up to 140mph.
In addition to being used on the London to Ashford line it will be used during the Olympics to transport passengers to Stratford which will take 7 minutes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8106398.stm
4 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Javelin Train

Slightly related - this one might be fun. A Top Gear race from London to Edinburgh between a Jaguar XK120, a Vincent Black Shadow and the LNER A1 steam locomotive "Tornado".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8106414.stm
Community Veteran

The difference is that steam engines are limited  to 75mph ( I think is the figure ) - so it may not be easy to beat the road vehicles.
Community Veteran

Thanks for the link Denzil.  Very interesting.  Wonder who won?
Community Veteran

I'm following all these developments quite closely because I live right on the top of North London which means that my nearest large interchange station is actually Stratford - a station that currently only offers connections to East Anglia, but with the new high speed services (and Eurostar, when they start stopping there) will in a couple of years be very useful to me. For example, I made three short visits to Paris last year, and each time I had get a train from my local station (Enfield Lock) to a tube station (Tottenham Hale) which could then take me to Kings Cross whence I walked to St. Pancras. With Stratford Internation up-and-running on the other hand, I'd have been able to catch a train straight from Enfield Lock to Stratford Regional, walked to Stratford International and caught my Eurostar straight from there - no dirty and noisy tube trains necessary. Smiley