Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jargon

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Jargon

Car in for MOT today and it passed but with minor defect……

All position lamps light intensity obviously reduced Nearside front….

OK, that’s clear enough but the bulbs are hardly likely to improve over time…..

Why not simply say…..recommend bulb replacement.

I accept there is the vague possibility that power to the bulb could be reduced and cause this but that would be a very rare event.

Makes a change from the more common problems where bulbs are too bright and in some cases not legal for road use.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Re: Jargon

@gleneagles wrote:

I accept there is the vague possibility that power to the bulb could be reduced and cause this but that would be a very rare event.

It could be an old failing bulb, or a poor connection to the bulb, or a poor connection/corrosion in the switch or a corroded reflector, or a scratched/faded/fogged lens?

All the tester can report is the end effect, that is, the light is dim. It’s not the tester’s job to identify the cause. 

gleneagles
Community Veteran

Fair point.

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just a thought have you checked the earth connection  

HD

gleneagles
Community Veteran

First task it to wait until it goes dark and put the lights on, something I should have checked before getting the MOT done.

Then I would change the bulb on both sides of the car as they usually come in pairs, not exactly expensive, if the problem persists then it’s a matter of digging deeper, as you say could be a earth lead, easy enough to check with a piece of wire or could be other things mentioned by @Baldrick1  

Best to start with the easiest one to rectify….ie new bulb and go from there.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

How old is your car, only we are not talking about scuffed or scratched headlights are we?

Those plastic lenses do suffer after a few short years and no matter how they were cleaned on my car they just never came right and the difference between a recently bought newer car is quite amazing. Crystal clear... and so much brighter. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

10 year old car….but headlights must be glass rather than plastic as they are very clear……

The issue is the side lights or one sidelight, they are housed in a plastic casing which is also very clear.

To be honest I did replace the standard bulbs with LED side light bulbs which I obtained via eBay a few years ago so highly likely a bulb failure.

Ordered a set of 501 Ring Premium LED side light bulbs from Autobulbs direct which come with a guarantee so will see how I get on with those.

Car is a Nissan Juke 2012 model, has it’s faults but meets my needs.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Hmm, sounding then like low current flow caused by bad ground connection which I think somebody mentioned. 

You can test the ground connections for voltage drop due to corrosion but that takes longer than simply cleaning - noting that each light will often have separate groundings which is why one is OK and the other dim   Then there are the actual connectors themselves which can get shaken and worn over time... and even melt!

You've checked/changed the bulbs I think you said.

Hope you get it sorted, those night are already starting to draw in. 😉

Thomas A. Edison
Mav
Fixes: 436

@Minivanman wrote:

Hope you get it sorted, those night are already starting to draw in. 😉

Not for another two days😉

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mav 

Oops you are right, on checking it's... t'morrow.

'Summer solstice will fall on Monday 21 June, with the sun rising at around 4.43am and setting at 9.21pm, delivering 16 hours, 38 minutes and 21 seconds of daylight in London'

inews.co.uk

Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Just sent for the bulbs so likely be wed/thurs before they arrive and get fitted.

Fortunately I have no need of side lights this time of the year…..fog and headlights are of course working ok.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Always have my side lights even at this time of the year @gleneagles as some of the lanes around here are quite shaded under the summer trees. Looks nice, but I do wish cyclist would do the same also as they really can be hard to spot. 

Thomas A. Edison