cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Japan Radiation Found In The UK

geoffp0
Grafter

Japan Radiation Found In The UK

RADIOACTIVE fallout from the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan has been found in the UK.
Two British laboratories picked up traces of radioactive iodine today — nearly 6,000 MILES from the damaged plant, which has been in meltdown since the devastating earthquake and tsunami on March 11.
A spokesman for the Health Protection Agency said iodine has now been discovered at labs in Oxfordshire and Glasgow.
Dr Michael Clark said: "Very low levels of radioactivity, traceable to Fukushima, have been detected at monitoring stations in the UK including Chilton, in Oxfordshire, and Glasgow, in Scotland.  Shocked
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Japan Radiation Found In The UK

Typical news reporting sensationalism.... the detected amounts are a small fraction of what you would get each day from normal background radiation...
This is a NON story yet it is all over the papers, web and radio news as if it was a major incident..
geoffp0
Grafter

I agree with you Peter, all of the media are on to it now, the next thing we will know is that we must not eat or drink anything  Grin
Fixes: 47

How do they know where it's come from.
Did it have 'MADE IN JAPAN' written on it? Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It can only come from fissile material. The detectors they use were designed to detect nuclear bomb tests in the cold-war days but they have been retained in service. The radiation levels are about 1,500,000 times lower than normal background radiation.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: geoffp0
I agree with you Peter, all of the media are on to it now, the next thing we will know is that we must not eat or drink anything  Grin

I will pass that on to the SWMBO weight watcher lot as a new diet Smiley Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

is this another obvious non news story  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12903725 ; Japan to scrap stricken nuclear reactors
geoffp0
Grafter

Just as everything was going quite in the media about Japan it fires off again must be that the media does not have any interesting items to report from Libya Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I'm not even sure I believe this "It's not a risk" stuff to be honest.
Back when Chernobyl went up they were telling people there was little risk, not to panic etc. 3/4 jap reactors go up (with the explosions being witnessed on TV caught by cameras) and suddenly its not a risk? Lets not forget only ONE chernobyl reactor blew itself away and look at the consequences it had. Just one..
Seriously its as if we've all been brain washed or something.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I don't think anyone is saying it's not a risk to people living within, say, 300kM of those reactors. In fact there have been numerous health warnings of one sort or another by the Japanese Government. But as far as it affects us, and anyone else living a long way from them, I think the absolute risk is no more than the risk of just being alive! Living has its risks in one form or another all the time.
We all tend to forget that 5h1t happens. It's a bit like daily road deaths (around 20) don't go reported in detail, but the odd rail accident that occurs every four years or so and damages four people gets the glorious technicolour treatment. We certainly have been, and are, being brainwashed, but not in the way you suggest. The so-called tabloids have a lot to answer for in my humble opinion by being extremely economical with the truth for the sake of sales.