Japan: Cause for disquiet

thisoldman
Grafter

Japan: Cause for disquiet

http://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1365569
pictures of the scenes

http://express.co.uk/posts/view/234217
radioactive fear.

It is by now clear from the reports that we are getting from our colleagues around the pacific basin and from certain university reasearch departments, that the death rates so far quoted are totally misleading. We are given to understand that the current death rates are approaching 100,000.
we are also informed by colleagues at an international atomic energy authority, that there has indeed been a massive radiation leak form  two plants in the n e region and that by wednesday noon gmt time  , the world will see a disaster of unprecedented
consequences emeging, not only for japan but also for the american west coast farming industry, due to high winds expected
on tuesday.
Because of the technical data contained in the  iaea report we are as yet unable to validate the veracity of the report , but we have been assured that a form of armageddon awaits us all.
The concomitant implications of the japanese disaster will reveberate around the world. Food, Petrol, Business, Manufacturing and Economic stability are all in danger .
89 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Japan: Cause for disquiet

Here we go again...
Predictions are one thing, reality is another. Why, can't you just let the dust settle before your doom and gloom mongering.
The Japanese like other areas around the Pacific basin need help not pontification.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I fully agree with you Petlew.  If it's as accurate as his other 'predictions' it's a waste of space. 
geoffp0
Grafter

Really depressed me reading that post, felt like getting in the bath and dropping the electric fire in it Cry  I agree we just have to wait and see the outcome of all of this,
If you look at 10 different TV channels then you get 10 different reorts ranging from slight to your time is up, we should all wait to see what the Japanese government comes out with, they are not idiots Smiley
Geoff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The Japanese thought they had the earthquake proof building problem licked. Then along comes a quake that is outside the limits of the model, as you say Geoff, they're not idiots by any means.
They will learn by their mistakes they always have, which is a lot more than some nations have.
What they don't need at this time is a mob of long-haired know-all's with airy-fairy predictions.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

Who else remembers Up Pompeii with Senna the Soother  Roll eyes
It doesn't take a genius to work out that the side effects of this earthquake will have wider implications for the rest of the world.
With regard to No 3 reactor there do seem to be a lot of differing reports so lets hope that they manage to cool it down safely and that there are no major radiation leaks.
Community Veteran

With the rest of the world monitoring what is going on I can't see the Japanese being able to cover up a nuclear disaster even if they wanted to. So far they have been very open in the information they have released. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

On the +ve side both Russia and China have pledged both aid and assistance to Japan. Both countries have been rather 'cool' in discussions with Japan recently.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-12/russia-says-gazprom-may-boost-lng-supplies-to-quake-hit-jap...
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s government asked OAO Gazprom to consider increasing liquefied natural gas shipments to Japan after an earthquake shut some of the Asian country’s nuclear power plants, curtailing electricity supplies.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman

http://express.co.uk/posts/view/234217

I guess I should not have expected less from The Express, but honestly such reporting should if possible have that paper removed from shelves and letterboxes everywhere. So much speculation based on such little facts really are beyond the pale.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
itsme
Grafter

I read up to the line 'But the situation was grave enough for officials to pump corrosive sea-water into the reactor to avoid meltdown yesterday evening.' then I stopped as the reporter obviously did not know the subject and was scaremongering. One reason they build power stations on the coast line or on river banks is to use sea-water as a coolant otherwise they would have to build huge cooling towers.

David_W
Rising Star

From what I gather, and I'm not a nuclear engineer, if the core melts (which may be likely) it will *not* explode into the atmosphere, it goes down into the ground where there is another layer to prevent it from going down into the soil.  The odds of radioactive material going into the sky and hitting the jet stream (which was used by Japan in WW2 to send little air balloons to the US carrying bombs, the first practical use of an unknown phenomena at the time!) are practically zero.
The Japanese people are doing their part, Square Enix for instance has shut down their data centres for their online games (FFXI and FFXIV) to conserve energy, the entire county is facing rolling blackouts due to a lack of power.  Oddly, trains are running in some places on time again, if it was over here in the UK we'd spend weeks talking with unions and committees on how to get the trains running again, we'd have 1 train every 24 hours travelling at 15 mph.
What we do have to remember, Japan is the only country in the world that has had a nuke dropped on it in anger, twice.  We should not be scaremongering in the slightest, doing that against a country with the history of Japan is irresponsible to say the least, pathetic and in poor taste are other words that spring to mind.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
The Japanese thought they had the earthquake proof building problem licked. Then along comes a quake that is outside the limits of the model, as you say Geoff, they're not idiots by any means.
They will learn by their mistakes they always have, which is a lot more than some nations have.

You saying that brings home a horrifying thought.
In Dover they've had an earthquake or two over the last few years. Nothing major but the tremors were enough to warrant a lot of building work for repairs to houses etc.
Whats just miles down the road from Dover, generates power and is full of nuclear material? - DUNGEONESS.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
geoffp0
Grafter

Many years ago whilst in the Merchant Navy I was admitted to hospital in an emergency in Kobe on the other side of Japan, I had to have an emergency operation to have my appendix removedduring my stay in hospital my ship had sailed, shock, horror, I was in a country the other side of the world from where I lived, on my own and without being able to talk the lingo.
Believe me there was no way that I could have been treated better, looked after by pretty nurses which was a tonic in itself, when I was up and about I was allowed to go around the city and go back to  the hospital at 5pm.
From the time I went into hospital until I was put back on the plane to return to the UK I was treated like a VIP, my sincere thanks to all of them, maybe thats why my heart goes out to the people of Japan at this time, they are great people.
Geoff Smiley
Community Veteran

Scaremongering.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ignore.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!