Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

James' Pool Balls

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

James' Pool Balls

(Please no puns in this thread)
James, I've just this second noticed that the pool balls in your avatar aren't actually set up correctly. What's all that about!? Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: James' Pool Balls

no puns?  spoilsport.  Tongue  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

A'hem, perhaps for the benefit of those of us who don't know, you would tell us how the balls should be set up....cue Bob;
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

From Wikipedia,
One of many correct nine ball racks: the 1 ball at the apex centered over the foot spot, the 9 ball at center, the other balls placed randomly, and all balls touching

Bob_Milton
Grafter

And also from Wikipedia, just to make it clear?
A proper straight pool rack with the 1 and 5 balls as the two corner balls and all other balls placed randomly

Intragame racking
Because straight pool is played to a specific number of points normally far in excess of the 15 points available in the initial rack, multiple intragame racks are necessary. Intragame racking employs a separate set of rules from those in place at the game's start.
To reach the point where an intragame rack becomes necessary, the balls are played until only the cue ball and one object ball remain on the table's surface. At that time, if neither the cue ball or the fifteenth object ball remains in the rack area (or is interfering with racking in the rack area) the fourteen pocketed object balls are racked with no apex ball, and the rack is placed so that if the apex ball were in the rack, its center would rest directly over the table's foot spot. Play then continues with the cue ball shot from where it rested and the fifteenth, non-racked, object ball from where it rested prior to racking
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Quote from: petlew
A'hem, perhaps for the benefit of those of us who don't know, you would tell us how the balls should be set up....cue Bob;

I was thinking along the lines of either of the following...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

I have always played pool, in many pool halls in the UK, EU and US, where the balls were as shown in the first image rack.jpg.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

9 ball is different Bob.  You only need the 1 at the front with the 9 in the middle, no other arrangement matters.
With US 8-ball, I beleive it's similar (I don't play US) with only a few ball arrangements being required.
UK 8 and World 8 are different though with their set arrangements of balls.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

See reply no.3
Fixes: 47

Racking up a Snooker table is a lot easier...just the brown, green and yellow to get right Undecided.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

GBY - God bless You.
Easy to remember Smiley
James
Grafter

Yes Bob, we weren't talking about 9-ball hence my post giving clarification.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Whatever,
It is supposed to be King George 5th who put a comment on a report he had read, it said 'round objects', apparently the civil servants wanted to know who Round was who objected.