cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jamaica Inn

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Jamaica Inn

Been waiting ,with much anticipation,for Auntie Beebs Jamaica Inn. Sorry to say, what a disappointment.  Sad Sad
To make it moody, it looks like it has been filmed through grimy glass.
And the audio was terrible. I played with the volume, but was unable to get the voices to stand out enough to hear without constant rewinding and conferring with 'her indoors'. Then on the few occasions when the speech was loud enough to hear -  why do they have to mutter like they have all had five fillings (and the necessary injections)? I tried subtitles, but that was too distracting (subtitles are ok for documentaries!)
Looks like I will have to read the book! Undecided
8 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Jamaica Inn

Sound was perfect for me... granted I lasted 5 minutes... whats with all the period costume tv shows at the moment? 
Where are the likes of Spooks, Life on Mars, that kind of show?
The TV channels are just buying in American pap, and wasting money on channels nobody watches, and programmes that are awful.
TORPC
Grafter

Perhaps Lenny henry boycotts tv license proposal(s) will not be too far away
[quote=http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/lenny-henry-vows-to-lead-campaign-for-greater-diversity-on-british-television-9269646.html]
Lenny Henry has announced his plans to lead the public in a mass protest of Parliament at the lack of diversity in British television amid wider calls for a general boycott of the BBC licence fee.

Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: doris
And the audio was terrible. I played with the volume, but was unable to get the voices to stand out enough to hear without constant rewinding and conferring with 'her indoors'.
Looks like I will have to read the book! Undecided

The Beeb had a lot of complaints about the audio:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27116881
I agree. Could hardly understand a word!
Devonian
Grafter

I wouldn't follow the racist Lenny Henry anywhere!
Community Veteran

About the audio, I have not watched my recording off the DVR yet, but on iplayer a few minutes ago which I guess they may have adjusted the sound, it sounded fine to me ... but then I am Cornish. Though I admit, the two main actors were  speaking in the kind of mumbled way which some Cornish people do and if you are not use to listening to could be hard to understand.
Also, if your TV is new'ish and has a 'Voice Zoom' function, as Sony likes to call it, try turning that off, as it might have a hard time as recognising the voice .. as voice. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Decided to give the second episode a go, seeing as there were so many complaints about the sound quality of the first one and the BBC apologised after admitting that 'something went wrong' . Must admit the sound was spot on, we could hear and understand perfectly. Now, will download episode one on catch-up to see if they have corrected sound on there.
As for accents, it wasn't the problem, it was mouthful of cotton wool that everyone seemed to have.
I love Cornwall and this doesn't do it justice ( another minor gripe  Wink ), it it's beautiful down there. Yet with the light filters they filmed it with, even a bright sunny day looked gloomy and depressing. I suppose it's the alternative method, to intrusive background music, of evoking atmosphere.
Community Veteran

My wife decided to watch it, but I wasn't interested so went off to do PC things. Came back a bit later and she was straining to hear it; I couldn't understand a word.
A few minutes after that she'd given up and switched to another channel. Needless to say didn't watch the subsequent episodes at all.
Community Veteran

Ahhh the sweet things trusted the technology. Surely it would have been noticed in the editing, but maybe that was outsourced. 
It would be refreshing if someone in the Beeb stood up and said (audibly) "Mea culpa"
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.