Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jam families? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Jam families? Sorry, I don't buy it.

Listening to the television whilst making my usual tea and toast this morning about Jam families and immediately thought, so what's changed - other than this new definition. I 'just about managed' for years with wife, kiddies and mortgage so this was not 'new news' as far as I was concerned.

Maybe these people should just live within their means.

One school caretaker chap (God bless 'em) was on £16k a year which is no great shakes but then went on to say how he was afraid of getting unexpected vets bills. Well there's what, £40 a month straight away on food for the little furries. No mention either of those so hard to handle school holidays. The programme then turned its attention to a university admin worker on £30k a year bemoaning the fact that what came in 'surprise surprise' went out. Well there's a revelation that degree did not prepare him for. What planet are these people on!

Granted my mortgage is no more, but as pensioners on £12k a year we manage well enough to put savings aside each week, run a little car, no pets to feed, downsized our home from a four to a one and a half bedrooms (the bed just about fits in the spare/grandchildren's room) so what's the beef?

I despair, I really do.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/jam-will-affected-autumn-statement/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Jam families? Sorry, I don't buy it.

It's part of having it all instant gratification generation, sadly which I have grown up in.

I laugh to myself that people bemoan they can't afford to save for a house etc. when paying for sky / netflix and have a shiny new iPhone every year.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

Fully agree with what you say and your situation was similar to mine, if we could not afford it we went without rather that building up a lot of debt. I was never good at maths but even I could roughly work out that interest on cards at 29% was a lot and just putting money down the drain.

The only people I have sympathy for are those who are in rented accommodation and work in low paid jobs so the rent takes up a good bit of their money so they are not in a position to save enough in line with the increase in house prices.

We started off in a council house for the first few years and if my memory serves me correctly the rent was far less than our mortgage on a 2 bedroom house but these days rents can be much higher that the mortgage on a modest sized property.

Community Veteran

Heard the opposite of JAMS - DARTS (doing all right thanks) - wonder who dreamed up that acronym.Cheesy

Minivanman
Hero

The Windsors? Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
harrym1byt
Rising Star

I have always lived within my means, never borrowed, if I have earned less - I have had to spend less. Always I have made sure I have had some left over to save. My income has always varied quite drastically, but I have always managed. I do my best to avoid things which involve me in making regular payments - no Sky, PAYGO phone, I never rent or lease anything so as to minimise my monthly ourgoings. Its the basic economics of life. 50K a year and needing benefits - what?

Community Veteran

I wonder how many JAMS have one or more iPhones used in their family

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

I 'just about managed' for years with wife, kiddies and mortgage

Always the "haves" that judge the "have nots" isn't it Roll eyes

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Never the other way around? We seem to be getting a lot of that lately.

Community Veteran

Haves - Have Nots

What comes next?

Even though I seem to manage fine I also seem to have a lot less than a lot of the so called Have Nots.