cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jails

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Jails

Most of you will have seen on the news these recent riots in jails along with photographs of smirking prisoners showing off mobile phones, drugs and a range of other items in their cells.

The suggestion is that life for prisoners should be made even easier in future rather than a crackdown.

These problems should have been dealt with years ago rather than be allowed to reach this stage.

Perhaps we should look to the US for some ideas on how to treat prisoners.

38 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Jails

problems are ,, Lack of investment , Prisons are overcrowded and a lack of staff Embarrassed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

Or - too may criminals.Wink

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@jab1 I blame the police..... if they didin`t catch so many, then the gaols would not be over full...

Aha !... solution.... get rid of the polce..... that`ll save the council a lot of money...

then the council tax can be reduced..

and we won`t need  gaols cos there won`t be so much crime

, because the druggies and shoplifters will be able to afford to pay their rent and council tax ... and not need to go out robbing so often..

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

"problems are ,, Lack of investment , Prisons are overcrowded and a lack of staff"

I know where I can get my hands on £370m if that would help!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/18/buckingham-palace-to-undergo-370m-refurbishment

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@Minivanman

you are less likely to go to jail if you got your hands on that £370m than if you got nicked for having no TV license.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

Does make you think though, if you had the choice of being homeless and had to sleep on park benches or similar places in this type of weather or in a warm jail with food and other comforts which are you likely to choose ?

Minivanman
Hero

I'd choose to put a brick through shop window. Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

photographs of smirking prisoners showing off mobile phones, drugs and a range of other items

Not forgetting the often reported other side of the coin where you don't see the photograph of smirking officers showing off mobile phones, drugs and a range of other items purloined or illegally diverted from prisoners. The often biggest crooks clock out and go home.

And not forgetting not all prisoners are what most would call criminals. Many people are only there due to that wonderful money saving care in the community.

Minivanman
Hero

Small victory for one, large victory for the other.

Either way I'd be smirking as well truth be told.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

I'd choose to put a brick through shop window. Smiley

Don't be silly, that would get you a mere slap on the wrists with a "Good day to you sir" from the magistrate.

To get a free ticket to one of her majestys hotels you'd need to do it to a police station instead. Failing that simply bribe a granny to report you as trying to rob her - you'd be inside within minutes.

Or for an even more fool proof way of getting locked up indefinitely, stop paying your council tax. Thats treated worse than bank robbery.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

Community Veteran

They should have special prisons reserved for those who are convicted and have previous convictions which had led to more than 30 days incarceration. These prisons should be uncomfortable as a deterrent.

The prison cell should comprise a 1.5 metre diameter concrete pipe sunk four metres into the ground forming a perpendicular tube  with a steel security grid top and bottom. A solid wooden stool to provide seating at the bottom. In the winter some blankets to provide insulation. This prisoners would be allowed out for 30 minutes a day to slop out, shower then back. As a privilege an extra 30 minutes in the company of one or two other prisoners.

This regime might just reduce peoples' decision to re-offend. They'd certainly be cheaper to run, but that would be a secondary objective.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

When you get young men with plenty of energy to spare and little to do in a small enclosed space you are just asking for trouble.

When I got home from work I was normally too tired to be going out and causing trouble. The solution is to ensure they all do a hard days work like breaking up rocks in a quarry or something similar, anyone  refusing to work would be left there for the night(s) and they would soon fall into line.

In days gone by the army had to deal with some of these so called,'Hard nuts' and they soon got most of them into shape one way or another.

All these soft options only encourage the criminal element to continue in their ways. Leaving the public to suffer even more.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Jails? HAH!! They're not Jails, they're state-funded hotels, with free bed, board, breakfast, TV and activities, all for the price of being a little naughty "on the outside", meanwhile there are those of us here on the outside who are treat like criminals for having the audacity to be born with lifelong physical & mental problems and made to live on meagre budgets in housing which makes the state-funded hotels look like luxury...

Definitely an issue with human rights priorities there, that's a given... Roll eyes