cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSON Files

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

JSON Files

When typing something into google I often get the message "this is a JSON file " what program do you want to open it with.
There is a add on in Mozilla Firefox for a JSON reader which I have installed but on opening the file just get a load of garbage, eg
e:"qeujT-TzO-bb4QTWip3SCQ",c:1,u:"http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl\x3den\x26gs_nf\x3d1\x26cp\x3d8\x26gs_id\x3d8v\x26xhr\x3dt\x26q\x3dsouth+wales+argus\x26pf\x3dp\x26sclient\x3dpsy-ab\x26site\x3d\x26source\x3dhp\x26oq\x3dsouth+wa\x26aq\x3d0\x26aqi\x3dg4\x26gs_l\x3d\x26pbx\x3d1\x26bav\x3don.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb\x26fp\x3daa730fbf68987175\x26biw\x3d1265\x26bih\x3d790\x26tch\x3d1\x26ech\x3d8\x26psi\x3doeujT4GwKITt8QPHkbC2CA.1336142754147.1\x26sei\  etc  etc
Never come across this before & has only happened since reinstalling my OS a few weeks ago.
Advice about this would be appreciated.
Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: JSON Files

Java script perhaps (JavaScript Object Notation)
I use it with openlayers (openlayers.org)
http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.11/examples/geojson.html   (safe to open... but slow... used to place objects on a map)
more here

Community Veteran

JSON is a set of javascript functions and protocol definition to allow data to be passed between a web page and a web server script. It enables web pages to request information from the server without you having to fill in a form or press a submit button. Some examples of it's use are dynamic drop-downs where you have 2 or more drop-down selection boxes and the contents of the 2nd depends on what was entered in the first. On making a selection in the first drop-down, the browser will send a JSON request to the server asking  what to put in the 2nd drop-down and the server will send back the info to show.
Normally this kind of thing is not visible to the user (it happens in the background) but it appears Google has given you a link to a page which is not normally accessed when visiting that website - it may be an intermediate page not normally visible
JSON defines a standard for passing information back and forth between a web server and a browser . Web pages should never send such information to the user to download so you should not need anything that will read/download JSON information.
Community Veteran

It sometimes happens when I am just typing basic stuff into Google ? As you can imagine it's a right pain as the box appears after I type the first few letters and does not allow me to enter any further letters until I have deleted the box that appears telling me it's a JSON file and what program do I want to use to open it.  By closing the box using the cancel button I can then add a few more letters before it pops up again and I then go through the same process.
In short is there any (easy way) I can sort this out ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I guess something is interfering with google's instant search feature or the part of the webpage that fetches suggestions - does it still happen if you disable all Firefox add-ons?
Community Veteran

Thanks for that suggestion, will try that & see how I get on.
For some reason it does not happen all the time but at random intervals.