Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JD Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40

shalom2010
Grafter

JD Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22760874
Really stupid idea. It may give 50 people jobs, but I wonder how many accidents it will cause? (I am being devils advocate of course, because some people drink before going on a motorway)
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: JD Wetherspoon to open first motorway pub on M40

actually until I followed the links and finished up https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/157765/ia-motorway-service... I didn't realise that any motorway service stations sold alcohol
I think the whole idea is crazy
Community Veteran

Not my cup of tea!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

I think it's a really bad idea - you're going to have a few pints then need a wee a few miles down the road Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No.
I think it's plainly obvious what it will encourage but for those stupid enough not to understand it.. This will encourage drivers to have the odd drink or 5 and end  up over the limit and having an accident.
Did I really need to say it?  Roll eyes
Terrifying thought really isn't it. Thing is once the first one opens the rest will soon follow and thats a really scary thought because we use the motorways quite frequently ourselves.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Worth starting a government petition? ? ? ? ?  to get this discussed in Parliament...
Absolutely bonkers idea..... JD Wetherspoon should have their alcohol licence revoked, and all their pubs shut down.....
shalom2010
Grafter

Maybe they should sell only non alcoholic drinks at service stations. That will shock a few people expecting a 'real' drink Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Why are Wetherspoon getting such a rough ride? It's not like they are the first to sell alcohol. As an example there is this service station http://www.westmorland.com/node/34 (J38 on M6) that cater for lorries and coaches.
Community Veteran

I'm surprised that neither the Police or local council raised any objections.  Even more surprising is that no individual or other body seem to have raised objections either.
Prior to lodging its application, the firm met with Thames Valley Police and South Bucks District Council to outline its plans. Wetherspoon said the application received "no representations".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/157765/ia-motorway-service...; Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

gswindale
Grafter

I'm not entirely too sure what the fuss is about?
I can pop off the M40 at J4 and be in Frankie & Bennys having a pint within about 5 minutes - about the same time as it would be to get to Wetherspoons at J2.
There is a very handily placed pub just off the A329 in Bracknell for people travelling down from the M4 to the M3 that serves rather excellent quality food (and alcohol).
Personally I'm more likely to pop into a Wetherspoons / other pub and have a coke than a Motorway Service Area if I'm driving anywhere.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Oldjim
keep up at the back there  Grin

I may be younger than some but not necessarily as (mentally) agile!  Tongue
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 124

I can see one benefit...
Driving down the motorway with SWMBO. We stop off at a Wetherspoon's for a welcome meal. SWMBO has a few drinks while I stick to iced tap water. SWMBO, fully satisfied, sleeps for the rest of the journey Wink Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: geofftswin
I can pop off the M40 at J4 and be in Frankie & Bennys having a pint within about 5 minutes - about the same time as it would be to get to Wetherspoons at J2.

True but thats a restaurant and the vibe there is that you have a meal and maybe a drink.
At a pub the general vibe is that you go there for drinking only. While I agree many pubs also serve food most people associate pubs with drinking several units of alchohol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!