cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its that time year again!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Its that time year again!!

Its foggy, misty and generally quite dull. Don't know how its been in your part of the world but the mist has hardly cleared all day here in SW Herts.
But some drivers are still driving either on dim side lights or no lights at all...
Since I spend a lot of driving among the school run, at the expense of being sexist Embarrassed I note the majority I see are school run mum's in their 4x4's. But there are plenty of others including at least one Police car today (no lights ((male driver)).
Petlew points out to the groaning (not another boy's toys topic) ladies, that we haven't had a motoring thread for a while.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Its that time year again!!

We've had a similar day in my part of Essex, misty/foggy and it's been necessary to use the intermittent wipers a lot.  I've also noticed the number of drivers travelling without using their lights. 
In some States in the US it's the law that if you are using your wipers you must have your lights on.  It makes driving much safer in bad conditions.
Community Veteran

I stand to be corrected but, I think the law here requires headlights (not sidelights) in poor weather conditions (such as rain, falling snow, fog and mist etc.)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think you're right but wouldn't you think it was common sense really Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the exact is  headlight when less than 100 mtr visability
said that then looked it up
Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

100m?
When did British roads go metric?
All distances on British roads are in Yards and Miles.
I have absolutely NO objection to the metric system but this is a terrible inconsistency relative to road signage, I'm sure it used to be 100 yards, why change (not that anyone could tell the difference between 100 yards and 100 metres on the open road).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry mate but that is from the 2007 edition of the highway code , and the Motorway marker post have been in metres since the early 90's; it only the speed limits that are in miles
and when did you last buy a gallon of petrol?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just had a look on my book shelf, my oldest copy of the Highway Code is the 1993 edition, and guess what the distances in that are also metric
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just a few signs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
In some States in the US it's the law that if you are using your wipers you must have your lights on.  It makes driving much safer in bad conditions.

Thats really not such a bad idea actually when you think about it. Perhaps the manufacturers should take this into account and turn on headlights automatically when the wipers are used for anything but windscreen cleaning.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Don't get me started on fog light abuse, they drive me mad as they're really annoying and can be dangerous at night. A relative of mine was driving us through europe a while back and had his rear fog light on. He didn't even realise what the icon on the dashboard was  Crazy Needless to say the local police pulled us over and tried to communicate it to him by drawing '< 100m' in the dust on the back of the car and pointing to the foglight. I realised what he meant immediately but the driver didn't and kept trying to argue that there was nothing wrong before i intervened and told him its a fog light. He's only done his theory and practical in the last two years. You'd think he'd know better wouldn't you?  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

That is an excellent law, think I'll adopt it in the UK
I think you're right but wouldn't you think it was common sense really Undecided

If sense were common everybody would have it Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Its foggy, misty and generally quite dull. Don't know how its been in your part of the world but the mist has hardly cleared all day here in SW Herts.
But some drivers are still driving either on dim side lights or no lights at all...
Since I spend a lot of driving among the school run, at the expense of being sexist Embarrassed I note the majority I see are school run mum's in their 4x4's. But there are plenty of others including at least one Police car today (no lights ((male driver)).

I must note in the last few days of foggy weather that its not only 4x4 school run mum's and police drivers that ignore the headlight on rule. Audi and BMW drivers seem to rather prone to this as well!!
But then anyway, Audi and BMW drivers are a breed apart and drive to different rules to the rest of us lesser mortals in Ford's and Toyota's etc.
With apologies to any Audi and BMW owners on these forums, who would of course be exempt from this generalisation.