cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its now legal again to take photo's in public places (sort of)

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its now legal again to take photo's in public places (sort of)

responce to petition to No 10  http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20750
Reasonable excuse under section 58A
It is a statutory defence for a person to prove that they had a reasonable excuse for eliciting, publishing or communicating the relevant information. Legitimate journalistic activity (such as covering a demonstration for a newspaper) is likely to constitute such an excuse. Similarly, an innocent tourist or other sight-seer taking a photograph of a police officer is likely to have a reasonable excuse.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Its now legal again to take photo's in public places (sort of)

There is also this line in there...
Contrary to some media and public misconception, section 58A does not make it illegal to photograph a police officer, military personnel or member of the intelligence services.
unquote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but some members of the Constbulary think it does, I had one approach me standing on private property, taking a picture of a car park across a dual carriageway, thought he could stop me!"£$%
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Bournemouth Echo
A photographer was stunned to be told he couldn’t take pictures on Sandbanks beach without a permit.
Steve Cook was in the middle of a charity shoot for Help for Heroes on Monday morning when he was stopped.
A beach warden insisted that commercial photography on the beach was prohibited by a Borough of Poole bylaw, unless you had the correct permit.
The council has now admitted that was an error – but insists commercial and professional photographers must seek permission.