cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It will not happen to me.

Community Veteran

It will not happen to me.

Every day we watch the news to hear about more job losses. I personally thought my job was secure and thought it would not happen to me. That was until my boss, the owner of the company appologized yesterday morning and handed me a weeks notice due to a severe lack of work. I was only working there just over a year.
Now I am in a race to find other work before the banks come knocking at my door. I have always had no problem finding work and have been easily able to move from job to job when I felt like a change over the last 12 years. Sometimes I had 2 jobs at a time! Never thought I would be in this situation.
I count myself lucky that I have a range of experience including IT, retail and Bar work so fingers crossed I will find something. I also do a little computer work in my spare time for extra cash so I have incresed my efforts there by placing an ad in my local paper for the next few weeks.
So, bottom line I now understand what many people in the country are experiencing and can symphatize.
67 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: It will not happen to me.

Sorry to hear that, hope you get something sorted soon.....
Will Moderate For Thanks
N/A

Oh Sean, that is awful news and am very sorry to hear it. Like you said, you think that it won't happen to you but it has and it must make one feel very insecure.
I hope that you can grow the little business that you have worked so hard on until a new job comes along.
Good luck.
Denzil
Grafter

Yes, sorry to hear that. A week's notice seems a bit stingy. I hope you find something else soon.
Fixes: 125

Good luck with your search. I know what it's like having lost mine last year Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
A week's notice seems a bit stingy.

That is what I thought but I was only there about 14 months. I was a little angry that he stood for 10 minutes and couldn't say enough good things about me and my work but yet was only giving me a week! His main interest is quite obviously the business and making money. I suppose it takes a little ruthlessness to survive in todays climate.
I feel more sorry for the other guy who is also going as he has his wedding all planned and booked for August.
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear your news.  I know how it feels, I was made redundant after 19 years with a major company.  Good luck with a new job.
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear your news Sean....
Artmo, I know what you mean, even a company as big as the one I work for $5.4bn Global turnover still laid off 4% of it's global workforce...
Was this recent for you too Artmo?
Community Veteran

Chemical Brother, no it was a while ago. After it happened 2 of us set up on our own and after a successful run I decided to retire.
Community Veteran

Fairy Nuff Artmo.. good one Smiley
I'm too young to retire and too old for a paper round  Cheesy
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry to hear that Sean, Good look geting a new job.
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear that too. One week does sounds a bit short, but I take it you are paid weekly. It aye be worth having a luck at the following two sites.
DirectGov -  Redundancy
Worksmart -  Redundancy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Really sorry to hear your news Sean. If you will do anything, and want to get into something where there is a perennial shortage of staff, and don't mind thinking about a career change at least until the times turn good again (which no doubt they will) get yourself a PCV driving licence, and drive buses and coaches for a while. Most large companies have paid training schemes. The licence will be yours for life, you never know how useful it may turn out to be.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the support. Wouldn't fancy a driving job. Last job I had that involved lots of driving (Sky Installer) landed me in court with 4 points and a £350 fine.
While out drowning my sorrows in my local town on Friday night I was offered a few shifts in a bar (as I have 10 years of full time and part time experience). Not my favourite bar as the crowd can be a bit roudy but beggers cannot be choosers. This combined with my own computer work should see me through the next while until something full time comes up.
Spent all day yesterday applying online and making enquires. Will spend all week doing the same, don't really care that I will be doing this during working hours in the last week anyway.
A friend treated me to a Gaelic Football match today between Ulster's 2 strongest teams which was a nice day out in the sun away from the worry!
Community Veteran

If it works out the bar work could just be the base income you need to keep you solvent while you build up your computer business.
Good luck.