Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It were grabbing for't mait

scootie
Grafter

It were grabbing for't mait

can only imagine what you thought when you saw the topic  Grin
Just caught a sparrow hawk having it's dinner in my back garden.
think it was a male black bird or a starling that was the unlucky one.
the pictures are not great as typical both sets of battery's for my pentax digtal SLR were empty so had to make do with a rubbish compact.
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: It were grabbing for't mait

Good pics,  will have to go away and find one of mine, a video of one taking a Collard dove in my garden, probably take a couple of hours to find, will be back
Community Veteran

Great pics.
BTW instead of playing computer games all weekend go and do some weeding in the garden Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Got some Vid of Mr & Mrs Prickles feeding, A Greedy Heron and blackbirds in my Kitchen, uploading to Photobucket, but the Blackbird one is to big, got to do some edits, not found the Sparrowhawk, think it is on VHS Somewhere,  I am out all day tomorrow so might not be til Sunday
pierre_pierre
Grafter

filmed at Tichwell Norfolk, is nothing to big for a heron

Mr & Mrs Prickles feeding

and
scootie
Grafter

some times see hedgehogs feeding on sunflower hearts here. what they eating pierre.
santiago its what i call a wildlife friendly garden. less work that way  Wink
nah theres garage to left that dumps all its rain water on that patch of garden because there is no guttering so stays wet nearly all year round and the garage blocks the sun, plus a pack dogs walking on it every day doesn't give grass a chance to grow so the weeds are left to grow so it greens up abit
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it is a special Hedgehog food, a mix of nuts,sultanas,sunflower hearts, honey, cereals and dried meat, normaly put it out in Autumn to feed them up for the winter.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

heres my other two videos, sorry cant find the SparrowHawk one
first Blackbird  - Female Brown with brown bill feeding herself - in my kitchen, the male - Black with yellow bill having a competion, how many meal worms can you hold in your mouth, goes ouside and feeds baby - several time
Next video, the Starling Army

scootie
Grafter

takes me back to a robin that use to come in to are kitchin some years ago.
we use to have a irish red setter that was in its old age had was feed high fibre diet, oats and what have you on top of her meat and the robin use to come in the kitchen and steal the oats if the door was left open  Grin
when the male blackbird goes to feed the baby any idea if the bird that flys in and out dead quick was a cunning robin with a free mealworm?
recently brought some niger seed and feeder to attact some gold finches,sinkins,red polls. its got room for 20 at a time so far had 7 at once just waiting for the breeding season to come and go and they should start flocking togther again and bring some wondeful sights to the back garden.
last year we had a family of jay's that were bold enough to feed on peanuts few feet in front of me
all tho since the sparrow hawk the number of birds visting as decreased slightly and i susspect the bird it made a meal of was a starling that for the past few years has nested in the eaves above my bedroom window. why do i think this hum because iam not woken me up early morning by its load singing since friday and my car is'nt coverd in the white stuff now
pierre_pierre
Grafter

never had a gold finch until about four years ago, but had seen them up the street, got two small Niger feeders now and have counted twenty at one time, another bird that eats Niger surprises me is the Collard Dove, it also vacs up the seeds and husks out of the tray at the bottom
worm nicker could even be House Sparrow, both them and the robin have been known to  raid my bulk box
scootie
Grafter

you a haiths customer then pierre.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I shop around, just found a company up a dirt track that I go past every week, main trade is Fish bait, but sells live meal worms,  Collected £13 a kilo, most others at least £20.
My birds like the CJ Wildfoods no husk better, but have used Haiths, Jacobie Jayne as well.  Got a ground feeder winter mix that had raisins in it, they started off OK for the first month, then threw the sultanas all over the place, still got half a bag left !"£$%^
scootie
Grafter

collared doves will eat anything. i was trying to cut down on how much seed i had to put on the table due to the doves munching most of it and falling a sleep in the sun on it alot. so switched from husk free on the table to plain black sunfolwer thinking the doves will not go near the husks. WRONG they just eat the whole thing Roll eyes
so i did away with the table and just spinkle some haiths husk free on the ground that way the chaff's, blackbirds ect get alook in
winter i use haiths husk free with suet pellets and in summer husk free with dried mealworms 20kg a time and then use to buy a 12.5kg of somthing diffrent each time but now switched to niger.
i use to buy just plain sunfolwer hearts but once the sinkin's found the feeders it only lasted 1 hour before refill was needed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Don't talk to me about Collared Doves but especially Jackdaws Angry
scootie
Grafter

least jackdaws have been britsh for a very long time, collerd doves i belive spread out from there native country of affica over the past few decades.
and least the jackdaw has some intelligence which can make them entertaining at times all the doves do is hit my windows and leave a big white mark of a bird on the windows and alot of times i find the things dead or half dead on the floor
i can see how jacdaws in big flocks get on people nerves luckly i dont get them her but a relative in the next town is plagued by them but i find them funny when iam there but then again it not my fat ball feeder they have worked out how to feed from Grin Grin