cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's the end of the line for boxed versions of Photoshop

shalom2010
Grafter

It's the end of the line for boxed versions of Photoshop

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/adobes-creative-suite-is-dead-long-live-the-cr...
Interesting article. As I only use CS5 maybe 20 times a year, I doubt I'll ever upgrade now to the cloud Smiley
3 REPLIES
mattturner
Grafter

Re: It's the end of the line for boxed versions of Photoshop

I think this is a great move. My girlfriend works as an illustrator and when she started out (and at Uni) there was no way that she'd be able to afford the £650 license fee for Photoshop. She did what I suspect most people do and downloaded a pirated copy (just as most people did on her University course). Even in the creative industries who lobby very hard for stronger protection of copyrighted works, the use of pirated software still seems rife (I suspect because of the high cost of starting out).
When the Adobe Cloud came along, she seized the opportunity, £17 per month or so, always on the latest version, no more pirating of software. I don't know why anyone would buy a copy of Photoshop outright these days, the alternative just seems to much better. Well done Adobe for launching the Creative Cloud!
Fixes: 47

The latest version of Photoshop Elements seems to do most of what my very old copy of Photoshop did and 'slightly cheaper'.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Rarely use the main part of Photoshop as ACR covers 90% or more of what I want to do with photographs.
As previously mentioned the idea of paying £17 a month is a much better way of getting Photoshop but I guess few private individuals really use more than 10% of the facilities it offers.
There are some excellent (Paid for) plugins available for Photoshop but most of these are more aimed at Professional / serious amateur use than those taking occasional photographs.