Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's plastic Tuesday.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

It's plastic Tuesday.

From coins long since worth the metal they were stamped on to paper money that only promised to pay the bearer, here in Britain we are now entering the age of plastic bank notes whose only 'redeeming' feature (see what I did there?) is that they may survive a couple of hours in the washing machine.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/sep/12/first-polymer-fivers-notes-to-enter-circulation-on-tue...

Like plastic carrier bags, will we be charged 5p every time we want to use one? Bank of England Governor and Canadian Mark Carney has admitted they may even smell like maple syrup! 

PS. Great comment following that article - "Well, my cocaine habit has just got a tad more hygienic" Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
12 REPLIES
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: It's plastic Tuesday.

Not first issue in UK, because Clydesdale Bank has issued plastic notes from early 2015.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

Well I did check before posting where polymer notes were already used and I did not see Scotland included. Maybe the people that write for Google do not consider it's a country?

"First issued as currency in Australia during 1988 (coinciding with Australia's bicentennial year). In 1996 Australia switched completely to polymer banknotes. Other countries that have switched completely to polymer banknotes include; Brunei,Canada, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Romania, Singapore and Vietnam"

But, point taken and post edited as per article Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I know not part of the UK but the Isle Of Man produced polymer £1 notes in the 1980s.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Minivanman wrote:

Canadian Mark Carney has admitted they may even smell like maple syrup!

Do you have to roll them up into a tube and jam it up one's nostril to smell it? Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Well no, but it is still British.

Complicated eh?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just reading through the article, and noted they weren't sure about replacing the £50 with a poly note, they should, aswell as bring out a £100 note, considering that a £5 note today holds about the same value as a 50p did when I was a kid, and put the £50 into a more common circulation, cos inflation's a female dog... Grin

Fixes: 47

I can confirm that Canada has had plastic banknotes since at least 2004 as I put $1000 through a full wash albeit inside a wallet in my jeans.

Laid them all out on the bed and they dried in no time.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not all bad news, your money will stretch further.

Wink

Fixes: 47

I'm sure money laundering is illegal in Canada Lips are sealed

I do apologise for that statement Embarrassed

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

hmm new plastic money ... wonder if it will affect machines that take paper fivers Smiley I guess alot of things will need updated like gamble machines in pubs n so on Smiley

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Minivanman
Hero

As somebody who has had dealing with the mechanical side of cash dispensers that was my first thought. They are touchy at the best of times what with sticky or packed tight notes and all but no doubt the techs will have something sorted. I hope so anyway, don't want them paying me too much money!