Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's mild green.... EU interference...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's mild green.... EU interference...

Yup, you got it folks!!!
The EU has now declared Mild green fairy liquid as a CORROSIVE and it will be forced to carry a dangerous test tube icon showing a hand being eaten through!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11759531/Mild-green-Fairy-Liquid-labelled-corro...
What nonsense is this? - Fairy liquid corroding the hand? Have these people never had to wash a plate in their lives?
Wish such limited skills (and our own MPs being even more limited skills wise - at least for getting us out), how can these people be living in the real world yet alone run a large part of one?
This is absurd.
If you have white spirit in your sheds, you'll soon be criminals  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: It's mild green.... EU interference...

Under the new regulations, which come fully into force on 1 June 2017, such products will have to bear a label comprising a black exclamation mark on a white background, set in a red diamond – as per this illustration, with the description "eye irritant" – which indeed it is.
The ultimate irony, though, is that the new regulations are not even of EU origin. As the recitals (5 & 6) say:
    With a view to facilitating worldwide trade while protecting human health and the environment, harmonised criteria for classification and labelling have been carefully developed over a period of 12 years within the United Nations (UN) structure, resulting in the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (hereinafter referred to as 'the GHS').
    This Regulation follows various declarations whereby the Community confirmed its intention to contribute to the global harmonisation of criteria for classification and labelling, not only at UN level, but also through the incorporation of the internationally agreed GHS criteria into Community law.
However, the Telegraph site has attracted over 400 comments, mostly a parade of the gullible, only too keen to imbibe what they read as the gospel truth.

http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85703
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"Eye irritant", that's the daily mail isn't it? Grin
But that fact aside, who is stupid enough to be pouring the stuff into their eyes for this to be a resulting law? After all, H&S laws come about from lack-of-common-sense people being stupid, so, someone somewhere is doing it... Roll eyes
Steve
Pro

My bottle already has the black exclamation mark on a white background, set in a red diamond. I suppose some fairy liquid might be able to splash into the eye although it would be very mild maybe some liquid on fingers then wiping your eye forgetting what's on your finger? I don't know but its never happened to me. So this story is a non starter I suggest 7up finds his news in better places.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

H&S... Peanut butter......  "warning.... contains peanuts "  ....   
All forms of butter..... " Warning ... contains Milk product "
etc etc...
Yeah.. some people really don`t have a clue what they are buying, until they read the label when they chuck the wrapper away... !  Cheesy