cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's going to be a longggg weekend!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

It's going to be a longggg weekend!!

Seen on the rear of a TK Maxx (retail clothing supplier) HGV artic trailer; “does my chassis look big in this?”
Which I thought was quite amusing.
Which got me thinking about clever TV ads. Some of which are better produced than the programmes they interrupt. Some of those I’ve enjoyed over the years have included:
Gold Blend coffee, with the deliciously smouldering Sharon Maughan
Happiness is a Hamlet cigar (when smoking ads were still allowed)
The Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter Chinzano ads
The early Carling Black Label ads
I quite enjoy the current Barclaycard ads.
And of course the fabulous Honda car parts ad. Which apparently took 3 months to make, with 608 scene takes, and cost $60m to make it.
There must be hundreds of others I’ve liked, and thousands more I haven’t. So if you’ve managed to tear yourself away from your computer for a while, what are or have been your favourite adverts?
But have they worked? Er! in my case No, I don't much like coffee, haven't smoked for over 35 years, teetotal and, never even considered a Honda.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
28 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: It's going to be a longggg weekend!!

I dont like Honda either, but their adverts with the choirs are really good
Community Veteran

It's not that I don't like Honda's, some of their cars are pretty good (if rather boring) I've just never considered buying one. Apart from anything else they're quite expensive for what they are.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Do you remember years ago the ads John Cleese did for Phillips?
Community Veteran

Oh yes, Do you remember the Bush TV ad, which I thought was quietly funny...where two neighbors were talking a new Bush TV set, and the neighbor without the new television thought the other was talking about a horticultural type bush, and where in the room it was going to be placed.

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

John Cleese did for Phillips?

Are those the ads that included a reference to "elbows"

nadger
Rising Star

I like Stella Artois adds - not that I buy any.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just seen the Skoda cake advert, thats the best Skoda they ever made, the others are rubbish Cheesy Grin Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Just seen the Skoda cake advert

I think that's on it's second time round now. but it is good though. Think I referred to it in another post (are Skoda's any good)

jmd
Grafter

I used to like the PG Tips one with the chimps! ; Grin
Community Veteran

Another great one was the BA one that used 'I'd like to teach the world to sing' which I think was also used by Coke.
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]tends to like any adverts with nice music - like the John Lewis one(s) that used Ludovico Einaudi's Le Onde.[/me]
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I used to like the Tetley's Tea
Have they worked on me Er! in my case No, I don't much like Tea, haven't smoked for over 15 years and teetotal to boot.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

My two favourites were the Hovis one from Gold Hill in Shaftesbury linky and the car advert (I think it was Peugeot) - "Take your breath away" driving through flames
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Just seen the Skoda cake advert, thats the best Skoda they ever made)

Only problem is that it ate it's cambelts  Crazy