cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It’s football season and time to BOOT OUT BOOTS!

TORPC
Grafter

It’s football season and time to BOOT OUT BOOTS!

[quote= http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2014/06/23/uk-uncut-set-to-boot-out-boots/]The Government won’t make Boots pay, so we will! Boots have dodged £1.3bn in Tax since 2007. That’s £1.3bn of our money that could be spent on safe homes, schools, hospitals, women’s services, legal aid and keeping our NHS public. The tax dodged by Boots alone could pay for 78,000 nurses or 5.2m ambulance calls.
Despite numerous calls for an investigation, HMRC are not interested in looking into Boots’ dodgy tax deals. The Government refuse to make them pay yet continue to slash our much needed health and welfare services saying there is no money left.
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: It’s football season and time to BOOT OUT BOOTS!

Doesn't more tax to the government mean higher prices at the till Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

More likely it would mean less payouts to the shareholders!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 104

What any alleged tax could have paid for and what it would have been used for are different things.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 104

Quote from: jelv
More likely it would mean less payouts to the shareholders!

Doubt that..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Boots is no longer a British company. It is part owned by Alliance, an American company.  The biggest pharmacy chain in the US, Walgreens, is contemplating taking the company over.
HMRC has looked into the complaint about tax evasion and rejected it. More here:
Alliance Boots
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Strat
Doesn't more tax to the government mean higher prices at the till Undecided

IMO Boots are already more expensive for most of the goods they sell compared to other retailers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
<snip>
Alliance Boots

Unfortunately that requires a signup to remove the big in the face splash-page to read the article
Fixes: 125

I stopped using Boots years ago as I felt prices were far too high. SWMBO still uses them occasionally but I can get all I need from the bigger supermarkets.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Link is working fine for me.
Alliance Boots
WTF
Grafter

Boots is no longer a British company. It is part owned by Alliance, an American company

.. which explains how they manage to avoid corporation tax.  Basically, it's one reason to sell to foreign owners: as soon as British companies become foreign-owned, they essentially stop having to pay corporation tax as it becomes really easy to make profits disappear abroad.  Actually, that's true across most of the world.  The problem is that solving the problem requires international agreement and corruption lobbying has succesfully prevented this.
A fine example is that the EU actually has a draft agreement that's been waiting for approval for the best part of a decade.  It's not perfect, but it would go a long way to addressing the issue.  Unfortunately, the British government - among others - has refused to sign up.
Yes: the same government that has been 'shaming' CEOs over their companies' tax affairs has been blocking an agreement that would prevent CEOs from avoiding the tax.  Roll eyes
Fixes: 125

Alliance Boots
I also get the splash screen. Closing that then searching for the article and selecting the link still brings up the same splash screen requesting login or registration Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

TORPC
Grafter

Alliance Boots

Its obvious your a member Wink