Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been a long time coming.

StickyMick
Grafter

It's been a long time coming.

Refinery strikes spread across UK
Strikes have been breaking out across the UK in support of a mass walkout by energy workers in Lincolnshire angry at the use of foreign workers.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7859968.stm
23 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: It's been a long time coming.

September 2000 all over again.
Good on them, about time someone did this.
Community Veteran

The job was put out to tender and the Italian quote was the best apparently. 
techguy
Grafter

No disrespect for anyone but if the cost of living is lower in Italy then the price will be lower.
We have unemployment increasing on an almost daily basis so why give the work to an overseas firm if you are commited to a community that you operate in and the workers are going to be paid the same?
Afraid I'm on the side of the workers on this one.
Community Veteran

It's a difficult one this.  under EU rules tenders have to be offered to all countries and what do you do if a foreign one comes in cheaper?  We don't know of course how much cheaper they were.  Also I wonder if the company have any commitment to the local community as they themselves are French.  I would like to hear from Total as to why they went with the Italian contractor so that I can get a more balanced picture before making up my mind.
techguy
Grafter

Wre listen to the EU too much
No wonder the French came up with the phrase a la carte, pick what they want from what is offered.
itsme
Grafter

Be interesting to know whether the tender was submitted in stirling or Euros? If in Euros than with the exchange rate going down than the cost to Total will be more. If in stirling then the profit will be less for the contractor. But as Total is French suppose they can pay in Euros from a French account to mitigate exchange rate fluctuations.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It goes back a long time When Fiat took over the Ford Cargo line (I think 1984), I was working at Boreham,  We were told that a presentation Centre was going to be built on  an unused end of one of the Runways, no one would give us any information,  a lot of gear turned up, a lot of Workers, none English, steel framework went up cover put on, still no Idea what it was for,  then a lot of different commercial vehicles were delivered, several different makes.
Then one day we, the locals were invited in and a PR show started, Mike Smith the TV presenter in charge,  then the bombshell dropped, we had lost the Cargo to Fiat.
techguy
Grafter

Don't you just love working for a company/organisation?
I really want to end up working for myself by the time I'm 35 as I've only been working 7 years but am already fed up with general organisation politics.
James
Grafter

Welcome to the real world!
Fwiw, á la carte isn't a French 'phrase', it's a direct translation to mean from the menu.
techguy
Grafter

I do tech not languages (Apart from the Queen's English of course)
But you get my point, yes.
Community Veteran

Difficult times - but then what about all the foreign companies employing British workers either outside Britain or here. Do the Japanese shut down Nissan, Honda, Toyota factories here. Do Ferrari sack all their British workers in their F1 team and only employ Italians, Do the Saudi's send all there British exPats home etc etc.
We live in a global market and it's not easy these days.
techguy
Grafter

I doubt Nissan, etc. would be here without the incentives we gave them initially.
When they did set up shop here only then did they realise the quality of skills in the UK, yes there should be some social responsibility enforced by UK law which when is all is said and done should override EU law as it is said we elect the party that governs and although they might be a bunch of money grabbing, useless twits they are OUR elected useless twits.
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: mal0z
We live in a global market and it's not easy these days.

It's not even that new an issue either. In the 1840s (I think) there were complaints and riots because of Irish workers being employed as navvies in preference to local workers. It's been going on for years.
But as mal0z says, it's a bit hypocritical of us to complain while British workers work overseas on temporary contracts when there's usually a local pool of people with the talents to do the same job.
Mike
techguy
Grafter

But we are in recession.