cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It`s a real pain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It`s a real pain

I have had a pain in my chest, (Sternum area)... for about 6 weeks now.... it comes and goes... first noticed it when I sneeze... very powerful sneeze I have.. and suspect it might be "strain of the muscles"  in the chest... as I don`t have an "internal" pain in the chest cavtity...  It sometimes happens when I am sitting down, and putting on my shoes,  and lean forward, then back upright... or maybe it will happen if I take a deep breath... or it might happen if I twist my upper body...
I did see my doc about it, but he seemed to come up with similar diagnosis to my own... although I don`t remember him "listening" on his stethoscope, or doing the "usual tapping" exercise across my chest...
I would like to go and see another doc. at the practice, with the idea of getting a chest x-ray to eliminate any "serious" cause of the pain....
does anyone know if I have the right to .... or can ask for.... a chest x-ray in these circumstances?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: It`s a real pain

If you explain your concern to your GP and ask for an X-Ray he would have to explain his reasons for refusing it to you.  You could ask to see another GP in the practice for a second opinion. This is normal if patients are concerned with the original diagnosis.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

When I used to see an osteopath, he once explained to me the various symptoms you experience associated with each joint in your back.
For example specific joints in your lower back can cause pain to occur in different places in your legs, or different joints between your shoulder blades can cause sensations in your thumb and index finger, or the other fingers, etc.
One of the joints in the middle of your back, he described as causing pain the the front of the chest, and people often worry that they are getting angina or are having a heart attack, when in fact it is just a joint slightly misaligned causing a nerve to be trapped.
What you are describing could easily coincide with movements in a stuck/trapped back joint.
Unfortunately, as I understand it, NHS doctors get less than half an hours training on relieving back pain, and will generally tell you to rest and take ibuprofen for pain relief and reduce any inflammation.
It might be worth trying some back stretching exercises, or perhaps go swimming, to see if loosening your back relieves the symptoms.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: artmo
You could ask to see another GP in the practice for a second opinion.
Surely another GP at the same practice will have read any notes before-hand which, in all likely-hood, would bias any second diagnosis Undecided
Also, would they want to contradict a professional colleague who work closely with?
Having never needed a second opinion I may be totally wrong.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Hmm ... interesting points of view... thanks. guys...
not sure about the back pain link, though... as it only started, when I had a very powerful sneezing session.. which makes the chest expand and contract very strongly and quickly... ... I can "lessen" the pain, if I know I am going to sneeze, by pushing the heel of my hand into the sternum area. as I sneeze.
I`ll see if I can get an appointment, and see what happens.... just wondered , if I had a say in the matter of getting an x-ray... rather than the opposite of having the right to refuse and x-ray.. if you see my thinking....
Community Veteran

Don't know if it's similar but my dear old Mum had similar pains in the chest - hurt when sneezing etc (and yes it did hurt a lot and she did find pressing her hand to her chest stopped a lot of pain). I put it down to maybe my fault in helping/pulling her up too fast that maybe she's strained something.
Anyway I took her to the docs who did a pretty good check, pressure, heart, and the little monitor pads top to bottom. In the end he said she was fine. That the pain was probably in the ribs. He said that where they flex they can get a bit arthritic.
Proscribed the usual strong painkiller to reduce any inflammation and it all cleared up in a couple of days.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you are worried, my advice would be to get yourself to your local A&E dept at your local Hospital
There you will get the second opinion, and most likely an X-Ray if they deem you need one.
And do it today, Friday, before the Weekend. Lower staffing levels with mainly Junior Doctors.

Community Veteran

GPs in my practice have special knowledge in certain areas of medicine so if you are seeing your own GP he might ask one of his colleagues for a consult if he thinks this might be beneficial.  Go back to your own GP with your concerns initially and see what he says to you.
Community Veteran

Thanks again... will get an appointment... ( probably in 3 weeks time ! ! )...
cheers guys
Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran

@ Purleigh....  thanks for that link.. (symptom checker ) . very good... have bookmarked it for future reference...
Razer
Grafter

Yeah, and it will likely tell you to dial 999 NOW! Has done for me every time I've tried it.
Community Veteran

@shutter, Think before you go to your A&E as you could be wasting your time.
Anyone going to A&E is now triaged to decide if they should be there or if they should go elsewhere, GP or urgent care centre for example.
If you are presenting with an old injury A&E will most likely refer you elsewhere for treatment.
The triage system is operated by your local CCG with a view to only using the more expensive A&E services when absolutely necessary. It is more cost effective in many cases to send a patient to his GP or urgent care centre.
Community Veteran

A&E... to me... is exactly that............ Accident & Emergency..... and that can easily put into a few words.... If you have had an accident and it is an emergency.... then get down to A&E...
If you are bleeding and it wont stop....A&E... but you might have to wait... and it might stop while you`re waiting !>..
So I won`t be going down there for chest pain!...
Our doctors surgery now use a "phone you back" system... if you want an appointment... the receptionist takes your name. phone number and some basic details of your problem, and the doc phones you back within the hour... he/she then decides if they need to see you straightaway, and give you an appointment... or tell you to phone back and make an appointment in the normal course of events.. ( usually this is a 3 week wait... it can also be done on - line  but still a 3 week wait...!..
anything other than that.. it s  111 .... and they can then refer you to the Outpatients GP surgery at our main hospital with an appointment time... ( they are open all night 24/7 )