cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a good cause! (read: I'm on the scrounge)

Community Veteran

It's a good cause! (read: I'm on the scrounge)

Some of the forum regulars will remember that last year I was part of the Dumball Rally, where a group of us got together in cheap (sub £400) cars, did them up in all manner of strange fashion, and proceeded to drive from Brussels to Corfu (the long way) in aid of charity.
Barring a few mishaps along the way, (no, it was not my fault I blew the engine up on our first car.....) we managed to arrive in Corfu after a week, and 2,500 miles of driving.  Of the 35 cars that started, 33 finished and we managed to raise nearly £40,000 for War Child.
Well, Dumball time is now approaching, and I'm chuffed to say that I'm also involved again this year!
It's the same premise - we buy our car for under £400, do it up as much as possible, and drive to some crazy destination.  This year, the route takes us from Harwich to Helsinki, via Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Russia.  We personally pay all our own expenses, so that all money raised goes directly to the charity involved.
The chosen charity for the Dumball this year is the Teenage Cancer trust which I'm sure you'll all agree is a very worthwhile charity.  This year we want to break all of the previous year's records, so between the 35 teams we would like to see an enormous response to our call for donations.
So, if you would like to donate, then please hop over to our fundraising page here. No amount is too small or too large, and the donations go straight to the charity. 
Some historical information about last year's Dumball is available on my blog.  There are also some great photos that one of my team-mates took last year up on flickr.  More info about the Dumball and it's history can be found at the Dumball Website
Anyone who has a company that would like to sponsor us, can contact me via PM here. There are plenty of opportunities to have logos made and displayed prominently on the car, and there is likely to be a fair bit of publicity this year Smiley
Thanks to everyone who supported us last year, and thanks in advance to anyone who decides to support us this year.
B.
5 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: It's a good cause! (read: I'm on the scrounge)

A very worthwhile cause and sounds like a real blast too.
All the best with it.
Community Veteran

Good luck Barry.  Just been to your donation site.
Community Veteran

If you've not considered donating, please head over to our donation page.  If only to get rid of me for a week WinkWink
Yes, I'm open to bribery too - if you would like me to do any particular antic during the Dumball in exchange for cash, just let me know and I might just do it! (legality pending Tongue)
B.
Community Veteran

So - passport pending, I'm off tomorrow!
I'll be away until next Sunday, so I hope everyone will behave in my absence Smiley
If you haven't considered donating yet, then please head over to our donations page and donate whatever you have spare Smiley
Cheers all
B.
Community Veteran

Barry, good luck on your trip and hoping you get to your target Smiley Smiley