cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's Not What You Say But How You Say It!!

Community Veteran

It's Not What You Say But How You Say It!!

I thought this was funny.  Economical with the truth but still correct I guess.

Judy Wallman, a professional genealogy researcher in southern California , was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that Congressman Harry Reid's great-great uncle, Remus Reid, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in  Montana   in 1889. Both Judy and Harry Reid  share this common ancestor.
The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows  in  Montana   territory: see below:
On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Reid, horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889.'
So Judy recently e-mailed Congressman Harry Reid for information about their great-great uncle.
Believe it or not, Harry Reid's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:
"Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.."
7 REPLIES
N/A

Re: It's Not What You Say But How You Say It!!

Perhaps there were two Remus Reids?  Grin
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

If something doesn't ring true - it usually isn't  Wink
http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/horsethief.asp
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Thanks 4C.  I often check things out on snopes but didn't do so on this occasion Embarrassed
Lurker
Grafter

I'd still agree with your topic title and opening sentence.
Nobody is claiming it to be correct, its merely an illustration of how you can describe a certain event in a number of very different ways.
"History is written by the Victor" is another example of phrase illustrating this view.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The version I like is
History is written by the observer
Propaganda is written by the victor
(Keepers - Thief Deadly Shadows)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and what is written by the Sun, Mirror, Express and Mail Cool Roll eyes Cool
Community Veteran

@pierre - are not worth the paper they are written on.........