cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It rained all day......

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It rained all day......

Whenever we get some "bad weather".. like, it`s going to rain for most of the day, the weather forecasters give out warnings to motorists...

Beware of "surface water" on the motorways.... 

I hope they won`t be exaggerating their warnings .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4836678/Jaw-dropping-images-WAVES-rolling-Texas-highway.html

EDIT EDIT EDIT....

Just read a comment below....  so it looks like " Fake News " from the daily mail...

the comment reads....

Utterly incredible, the flood appears to have moved a bridge into the back of the shot!

13 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: It rained all day......

Fake News? Daily Mail? are you pulling my leg? Crazy

Edit: it just gets worse in Texas. Chemical plant explosion imminent due to the flooding...

Edit 2: I know someone in Texas who is holding out in their own home as apparently pets are not allowed at the shelters.

TX1.png

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

What with global warming and all these floods around the world i really think we should be building homes that can float. call me nuts but i think it would be worth it to prevent flooding. I mean our winters aint cold anymore there wetter i think its a sign we are all going to get wet.

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Anonymous
N/A

St3 wrote:

What with global warming and all these floods around the world i really think we should be building homes that can float. 

With enough room for a pair of each type of animal?

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

im sure there will be plenty of fish Smiley

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:
Just read a comment below....  so it looks like " Fake News " from the daily mail...

the comment reads....

Utterly incredible, the flood appears to have moved a bridge into the back of the shot!

Typical uneducated DM comment, they don't understand that the google streetview cameras have very wide-angle lenses to create the 360 degree views, and the camera on the phone used to take the pictures of the I-10 has a narrower angle lens, the bridge is there in the "dry" shot, it just seems to be a lot further away thanks to the perspective (or lack thereof) between the two...

I can see the bridge in the streetview image, so, despite being a DM article, it ain't a fake...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke .. if you use the "slider" and move it across the gantry.... the left hand support legs are closer together in the "wet" shot..  and if you check out the tree line on the right side,   it is different to the tree line in the "dry" side... there does "seem" to be a bridge at the far end of the shot in the "dry" side..   however.it does show that the two pics were NOT taken from the same place.... Maybe there is another "gantry" further towards the bridge  and the water pic was taken from there.... the picture editor should have spotted the differnces... but was probably in a rush when he cropped the wet pic to fit...  ((I can`t see another gantry but the horizon doesn`t look right in the wet side )  so it may well be just out of sight(focus) in the distance... that would bring the bridge into the dry pic .

Community Veteran

As I pointed out earlier, it's the wide angle lens versus the not-so-wide angle lens, the left-hand support legs are easily explained, they are indeed taken from a different place, the boat was closer to the gantry than the google car, therefore messing with the perspective, and of course, the wide-angle lens makes things appear further away than a "normal" lens so the treelines look further away on the google imagery than they do on the cameraphone imagery...

I was brought up in a family of photographers (not taken up myself though) so tend to spot such differences easily that the majority these days just seem to see and scream "FAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEE!!!!!" when it's just a simple case of, they don't understand how different lenses work... Smiley

Community Veteran

Managed to find the location of where the pictures were taken on Streetview as used in the DM slider, so, examine away, explore the various points at which the pictures were taken from the boat:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@29.827211,-94.4226331,3a,30y,266.01h,90.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk3DAT...

Having poked about myself, I'm fully convinced that the comments about fakery are just DM reader ignorance... Smiley

Community Veteran

And by the powers of investigation (and far too much time on my hands!!), I give you, a close extrapolation of the location of the pictures, they must have been located over the grass verge between the freeway and the side road to give the right perspective (tree lines, gantry, etc.), so, to all the people crying wolf..... Tongue

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@29.8274655,-94.421265,3a,15y,261.11h,89.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHnuzz...

Streetview zoomed.pngFlood pic.png

Mystery solved, move along now...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke  Congrats on your work !.... I wonder if there`s a vacancy as Picture Editor of the Daily Mail, just waiting for you !..

Another point... the "dry" pic seems to have been taken in early spring, or late autummn ( fall, as the yanks say )... judging by the small tree on the right , compared to the tree in the "wet" pic, which seems to have some good foliage on it... (explains the change in the tree skyline shape too )..

Community Veteran

I wouldn't want to work for the DM even if they offered £100k a year, the "guilty by association" thing and all...Funny

I only use my powers for good, even if they couldn't light a one watt LED...Crazy

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

I only use my powers for good, even if they couldn't light a one watt LED...Crazy

Yeah... 2cv`s aren`t very powerful, are they ! !! !   !   CheesyGrin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

St3 wrote:

What with global warming and all these floods around the world i really think we should be building homes that can float. call me nuts but i think it would be worth it to prevent flooding. I mean our winters aint cold anymore there wetter i think its a sign we are all going to get wet.

I think its Norway or Sweden... but one of them countries has started doing just that. I saw a programme on TV years ago showing how they're so worried about rising water levels that they're building more and more floating homes now.

It is indeed the way forward for current times but then that will cause another issue itself; with all the new floating homes displacing even more water, water levels will rise even more yet again.

The only real way to solve it is floating homes that float in the air... IE built on stilts or actually floating in the air as in lighter than air / flight. Failing that we leave this doomed rock and head out into space but thats a bit advanced for current times.

I rather like this idea myself:

screenshot_561

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!