12 REPLIES
WTF
Grafter

Re: It'll be all White on the Night....

Time to hibernate ..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Brilliant news.. lets just hope we get a white christmas too for once!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Snow shovels have appeared in Tesco - it must be true..
Thunderclap
Grafter

We saw them too today. Half price by March.
Not that anyone clears snow these days. Except maybe, to get the car out the drive and onto the frozen road.
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Winter tyres on our Freelander. Bring on the white stuff.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: PlusComUK
Brrrr-itain could be hit by SIX inches of snow next week, with blankets of snow and icy blasts.!

It's already White here !

[ Wot, no Daily Mail ? ]

OK, here is the one link you have been waiting for, from the Daily Mail of course.
Such a fantastic source of photo's !!!
Though the copy is usually somewhat suspect...

Most of Britain to be covered by snow next week as temperatures fall below freezing
The snow is not expected to cause any disruption, and will merely make the countryside look 'pretty'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508020/Most-Britain-covered-snow-week-temperatures-fall-fre...

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Winter tyres on our Freelander.

Even with winter tyres on, I once had a white knuckle ride in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my fault, going too fast round a local series of sharp corners, tarmacadam road, light snow, but very icy, early one morning, (no other traffic) I over compensated, steep drop on one side, managed to gain control.
I went a fair bit slower after that !!
Otherwise, 4x4 works well in Snow, main problem is, in traffic, you are limited as to what the cars in front are doing.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Brrrr-itain could be hit by SIX inches of snow next week, with blankets of snow and icy blasts.!

It's already White here !

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Winter tyres on our Freelander.

Even with winter tyres on, I once had a white knuckle ride in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, my fault, going too fast round a local series of sharp corners, tarmacadam road, light snow, but very icy, early one morning, (no other traffic) I over compensated, steep drop on one side, managed to gain control.
I went a fair bit slower after that !!
Otherwise, 4x4 works well in Snow, main problem is, in traffic, you are limited as to what the cars in front are doing.

The snow didn't last long here, we've had two bright blue sky and sunny days, though it is bitterly cold out.
I don't think this driver understood the concept of 4x4 on Snow, more like 4xFloor !
Whoops-a-Daisy
There but for the Grace of God.
itsme
Grafter

Having a 4x4 without winter tyres is only a slight improvement over a normal 2 wheel drive car.
Infinity
Pro

In my Grand Cherokee, in damp weather, after rain, just above 0ºC a Jaguar came up beside me at some traffic lights at a wide junction early one morning, which immediately after the junction, turned quite a wide bend.
Rev, Rev.... he was obviously looking for a duel.
There were no other cars around.
I took up the challenge......

When the lights changed, I took off, steady as a rock, and went into the bend, I knew my Jeep very well and its' limits.
Where's the Jaguar I thought ?

I looked in my rear view mirror, it was doing  pirouettes in the middle of the wide road, must have spun a couple of times, before I stopped looking !!

Even in dry weather, the Jeep was so powerful, I learnt never to floor the accelerator coming out of a roundabout, until I had straightened up the Jeep, but as above going straight, then turning after slowing a bit was OK.
All to do with a heavy car with a relatively high centre of gravity.
I had previously done a few 4x4 Off Road courses, along with a Police Pursuit Driver Training type course.

shalom2010
Grafter

Where's that snow you promised? Just overcast with some drizzle in Essex!
Infinity
Pro

It did come, here anyway.
Then it went away again !
Apart from some very stormy weather last night, we've just had two glorious days of deep Blue sky and Sun...
Bitterly cold though !