cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It had to happen?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: It had to happen?

It's dangerous enough to cross such a wide road in daylight, never mind at night, not using a crossing, or footbridge, and wearing non reflective clothing.

She must have heard and seen the vehicle, and thought she would chance it.

But we will never know.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm sure they will have lights @Champnet, but not lights as we know them.

Lights to be seen by people rather than lights to see other vehicles or the road?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@RobPN wrote: the human co-pilot was paying very little attention to the road or surroundings so what was the point of her being there?

for co-pilot, read "safety driver".... ( according to the DM )... also according to the DM the video of said person shows here continuously "looking down"  (as if texting whilst (not) driving  ? ? ? ?)    how relevant is that to the situation ?  

and as you so rightly say.... being an "automatic driverless car"..... what was the point of her being there  ? 

Fixes: 337

@shutter wrote:

and as you so rightly say.... being an "automatic driverless car"..... what was the point of her being there  ? 

Probably so that in events like this they could blame the non-driver rather than the car.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

How can you blame the car, and wouldn't it get upset?

It's the hammers fault I hit my thumb! Funny

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

As Jalopnik points out it's pretty unorthodox for AVs to have only a single co-pilot/safety driver

https://jalopnik.com/just-about-everyone-uses-two-safety-drivers-when-testin-1823984330

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

How can you blame the car, and wouldn't it get upset?

At the very least they should get Basil to give it a damn good thrashing.

Community Veteran

Now a Tesla decides to commit Harakiri.

BBC news

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

The thing to consider though it's early days and that maybe, just maybe, once autonomous cars such as this cause less accidents fatal or otherwise than human drivers - who let's face it, never makes a mistake....... Roll eyes

DaveyH
All Star
Fixes: 11

Tesla's Autopilot is, in its current form, a suite of assistive technologies though, it isn't fully autonomous/meant to replace human driver input.

And from the article 

"The driver had received several visual and one audible hands-on warning earlier in the drive," a statement on the company's website said.

"The driver's hands were not detected on the wheel for six seconds prior to the collision."

"The driver had about five seconds and 150m (490ft) of unobstructed view of the concrete divider... but the vehicle logs show that no action was taken," the statement added.

Sounds like an act of Darwinism on the drivers part to me, rather than a technology issue.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@DaveyH

Point taken in one, and what does the headline from shutters  link tells us - that 'Tesla in fatal California crash was on Autopilot' - making no mention of the driver.

Lets blame that which can't complain eh?

Community Veteran

I do wonder what happens insurance wise.

I suspect at the very least Tesla owners will all find their insurance premiums jumps up a notch.

Now who will they blame?