Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It gets worse - RIAA

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It gets worse - RIAA

http://www.9to5mac.com/orwellian_nightmare
iPods, iPhones, laptops and other digital devices could be seized by customs officials worldwide under a new top-secret copyright policing deal being worked out between the G8 nations, reports claim.
Nations including Canada, the US and various European states (including the UK, which sits on the GCool are secretly agreeing a new pan-global state police deal in which information held on iPods and other devices could be subject to investigation by customs officials tasked with a new role, as copyright police.
Dubbed the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), signatory nations will form an international coalition against copyright infringement.
Officials will be able to levy fines or seize goods even in the absence of any complaints by rights holders. And searches will be allowed even without a lawyer present. And ISPs will be forced to hand over personal information on any alleged copyright infringers - no actual proof will be required.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: It gets worse - RIAA

Good Post Jim...
But on the other hand we see plenty of news stories about various European bodies standing up for 'Fair Use'. So what is the real story?
Personally, any music (and I recognise the issue stretches beyond music, but feel the same rule of thumb applies) I ‘really’ care about I purchase as regular ‘hard copy’.
Otherwise:
1. I will under no circumstances download music from any entity that wants to charge me the same price as hard copy for a digital (lossy) copy of material I do not have the same freedom to use as hard copy. That is totally ridiculous on both counts.
2. I will not purchase hard copy that limits my 'Fair Use’.
3. I will not purchase digital copies that limit my 'Fair Use’.
4. If I can download music (that I do not require a hard copy of) at sensible rates from providers whose services are not clearly illegal then that is fine (there are plenty of these sources).
5. What about the music that is no longer available as hard copy or regular (expensive or inexpensive download)? Well there are still options for that...  Personally I use all of these before I would ever resort to P2P for music, but that is just me.
What about the rest of you, how do you deal with it?
Fixes: 105

I used to spend an awful lot of money on music, now I find that I don't tend to buy as much.
This could be because I'm getting older, but I really think it's because the music industry is pumping out a load of generic whats-in-now rubbish. There seems to be little risk taking and innovation, BBC 6 Music appears to be only place to hear decent new music.
I now only buy a few CD's a year and the occasional download from iTunes.
I have used P2P for music, but mainly a try before you buy as I like to hear more than a radio-edit of one song before I buy the album.
I try on clothes, test drive a car, look at a house so why shouldn't i be able to get a feel for some music?
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

The European Parliament has overwhelmingly defeated the international Acta anti-piracy agreement, delighting its opponents and plunging its supporters into gloom.
The vote is the first time that the parliament has used its powers under the Lisbon Treaty to reject an international trade agreement.
However, other countries such as the US and Japan are expected to continue with implementing it.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/04/acta-european-parliament-votes-against?INTCMP=SRCH

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

iPods, iPhones, laptops and other digital devices could be seized by customs officials worldwide under a new top-secret copyright policing deal being worked out between the G8 nations, reports claim.

Law is one thing, but will be possible to regulate, and who will be able to tell what is copyright and what isn't. Can't see it working.