cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't it about time we legalised the abuse of drugs?

SRD
Grafter

Isn't it about time we legalised the abuse of drugs?

As long as the production and sale of such substances is properly licensed.
This would vastly reduce costs from customs and excise, policing and the courts whilst providing a taxation income on a par with that provided by cigarettes and alcohol which already (or so I understand) outweighs the costs to the health service.  If we implement a policy whereby a crime committed whilst under the influence is punished more heavily then we can move the responsibility for personal behaviour away from the state and towards the individual.
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Isn't it about time we legalised the abuse of drugs?

Quote from: SRD
crime committed whilst under the influence is punished more heavily

As I understand it a lot of petty crime is committed by persons attempting to acquire the money to buy substances and therefore may not be under the influence at the time of the offence.
I'm not in favour of legalising currently illegal drugs...quite the reverse.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Me to I'm not in favour of legalising currently illegal drugs, quite the reverse.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Some of the legal drugs have more serious effects than the illegal drugs.

So make them illegal Tongue
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I think number one on the list is alcohol. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

Agree with Gary and Strat on illegal drugs. Agree also with A Fox is Evil.
About a year ago my GP suggested I go on a low dose of Statins (5mg) as a preventative measure, tried it for a month, got a definite 'spaced out - high feeling' would last for several hours, it was prescribed, legal and excellent (although I cannot remember much afterwards). But felt I shouldn't be left in charge of any machinery larger than a bottle opener, let alone riding a bike or driving a car.
What was of concern our surgery recons there are +100 folk (based in that surgery) on a dose = to 40mg of statins and driving!
OK appreciate not everybody is affected the same way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think all the current illegal drugs should be free. Hopefully then the idiots that take them would take so much that they killed themselves. Bound to be cheaper to give them the drugs than deal with the consequences for crime and increased demand on the health service.
Sorted!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

That's a highly irresponsible attitude to take John Angry

.....but I like it Smiley
SRD
Grafter

Quote from: Strat

As I understand it a lot of petty crime is committed by persons attempting to acquire the money to buy substances and therefore may not be under the influence at the time of the offence.
I'm not in favour of legalising currently illegal drugs...quite the reverse.
Although that is supposedly true, one doesn't hear much of petty theft being committed to acquire money to buy legal substances such as alcohol or tobacco, I'm sure it's as likely to be so but I wonder why one never hears of it.
And you haven't responded to the cost implications; at a time when we are all supposed to be thinking of ways to reduce government spending surely the increase of illegality in drug use is only a drain on the nation's resources that we can currently ill afford?
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
Agree with Gary and Strat on illegal drugs. Agree also with A Fox is Evil.
About a year ago my GP suggested I go on a low dose of Statins (5mg) as a preventative measure,
What was of concern our surgery recons there are +100 folk (based in that surgery) on a dose = to 40mg of statins and driving
OK appreciate not everybody is affected the same way.

Had long discussions with my GP about statins and he has now come round to my way of thinking Wink  Firstly, the recommended dose of statins is 40mg and it is recognised lower levels do not work.  I was firstly put on Simvastatin which is the cheapest available on the NHS (£1.32 a month) and had side effects such as muscular pains in my legs and lethargy. I then switched to Pravastatin.  The side effects were not so severe but still present.  Both drugs reduced my cholesterol.
On a recent visit to the US I was discussing the side effects and was recommended to try Supralip which is a fenofibrate. My GP agreed to give them to me. They work well for me without any side effects and control my cholesterol as well as the statins.
My GP told me that since starting to take statins the BMA has become concerned about the side effects which can effect 15- 20% of users.

Community Veteran

Here's a link to an article on statins.  I have another article and will post the link when I can find it.
Statins
Community Veteran

@Artmo, thanks for that, I'll investigate Supralip, sounds interesting.
Community Veteran

Supralip is a lot more expensive than statins and some PCTs won't sanction it.  Fortunately mine does and my GP was happy to let me try it. 
In the UK the top level of cholesterol is recommended as 5mmol/l.  Since using both statins and now Supralip my reading is now 5.4mmol/l which my GP is pleased with.
Community Veteran

Just found the other article on statins that I mentioned.  This article quotes 2 medical people, one for and one against.
More Statin Info