cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isle of Wight Music Festival - Chaos

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Isle of Wight Music Festival - Chaos

Seems the weather has played it`s usual hand..... Hundreds of people stranded on Ferries in the solent, cos they cant unload them as the road to the festival site is gridlocked back to the ferry landings....
hundreds of cars have been shuttled to Southsea Common as an emergency waiting carpark.
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-06-21/music-fans-stranded-on-mainland/
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Isle of Wight Music Festival - Chaos

Must be damned annoying for those trying to get to the IOW who are not going to the festival!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Has this problem not occurred in previous years or is this the first year the festival has been held there Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I think this is the first time they have hit problems which were caused by the main car park being waterlogged and there was nowhere for the cars to go
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18539315
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think it originally started way back in the 1960`s.... when all the hippies congregated in a field, made music and had lots of free sex..... then someone thought.... that looks like a money making idea. I`ll organise it from now on... ..
I think it got out of hand, and the IOW council decided it should cease, but they lost so much money from the tourism side, that they have since  (about 14 years I think) let it be better organized...
As Old jim said... the problems this year were mainly caused by the carparks not being accessible due to soggy ground, rain, and more rain... this caused tailbacks along the routes to the ferries and subsequently the ferries themselves, could not disgorge their passengers/cars !.....
Yes it must have been a right PIA for the locals who live nearby the site... trying to go about their normal business, going to work, getting the kids to school, etc.... and for those who just had the misfortune to want to travel on the ferries without going to the festival....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Rule 1) don't book annual leave during the IOW festival, Wimbledon or Glastonbury.
Yee oldee English rain making rituals
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

A little unfair on those of us who go to Wimbledon.  In recent years we have had some good weather during the tournament, in fact since the roof was put on Centre Court it has had little use.  Hope I'm not inviting trouble for the next 2 weeks Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Wonder if this was one of the songs at the Festival ?