Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is your Number Up ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Is your Number Up ?

We're running out of phone numbers again...
The change, which came into effect on 1st October, covers Aberdeen (01224), Bradford (01274), Brighton (01273), Middlesbrough (01642) and Milton Keynes (0190Cool.
The measure was first implemented in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole (the 01202 code area) in November 2012 and the process ran smoothly, or so they would have you believe !
Ofcom is also planning to implement the same system in Oxford, Slough and Stoke-on-Trent from some point after 2016 with contingency plans in place for a further 20 cities to follow suit.
Among the many other locations under the spotlight are Swindon, Hull, York, Norwich, Guildford, Warwick Bath and Motherwell.

There is also some resistance to the fact that the change means people will need to dial an 11 digit number to reach a local take-away or family member.
Separately, it creates extra costs for small businesses and traders, who need to change letter heads and signs to show the full number, including the national code.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2777240/We-running-phone-numbers-Five-places-dial-area-code-...
13 REPLIES
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is your Number Up ?

Don't most people have their local takeaways & family members on speed dial these days, or at least in their contacts list? If you are using a mobile you have to dial the full area code anyway. And do businesses really only display the local part of the number on signs and letterheads? Not sure there's a major problem here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Jeez...
What the heck do the Daily Fail expect to happen? "Sorry you can't have a new phone line because there are no spare numbers"?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro

probably, although it does seem strange that his change wasn't applied nationwide in the same way that adding 01 was back in the early 90's to create the same change over that "should last a few decades" for everyone at the same time.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Looking at the Poole area they have started allocating some numbers beginning with zero: http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/01202-code-allocations
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nanotm
probably, although it does seem strange that his change wasn't applied nationwide in the same way that adding 01 was back in the early 90's to create the same change over that "should last a few decades" for everyone at the same time.....

That was a farse anyway IMO.
When I was a kid BT ran out of numbers and added two extra digits onto everyones phone number.
In the early 90s they ran into this same dilemna again and decided to change 0 to 01.
Now tell me... say my area code is 0234, how does changing it to 01234 make any difference? - Sure NEW areas / towns (that we've not built for donkeys years) could have a nice new variation such as 02 but the reality is that 01 would make no difference at all to anyone else.
That was never about a shortage of numbers (IMO). It was a preemptive action to 09 numbers and the like.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

11 digit phone numbers = 1,000,000,000,000 phones.

nanotm
Pro

well it does kind of depend on how many digits are used for the area code,
for example my area code changed from 935 to 0935 to 01935 back in the day, now the phone number in use was still the same 6 digits,
so they were still limited to 1 million numbers in that area code,
what they should have done was extend the existing numbers by adding 00 in the middle giving an extra 98million numbers per area code,
something that wouldn't be likely to run out for the next few hundred years for each area .....
but as normal typical overpaid under qualified morons in the regulatory body failed to realise this until after the publications had been printed,
the former changes adding the 01 to the front of the numbers were about international standards for the length of the number not about adding extra number combinations (only creating new area codes would do this) so just like then this is now a complete farce.....
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Now tell me... say my area code is 0234, how does changing it to 01234 make any difference?

It freed up 03xx, 05xx, 07xx etc. numbers which were previously STD codes.
nanotm
Pro

Didn't know diseases had area codes  Grin
Community Veteran

Can't understand York needing more numbers!!
It must be caused by the perceived need to break the number range into smaller areas.
Viz - numbers beginning with 76 are one area; 74 is another; 4 is another etc. etc. etc.
The range of 111111 to 888888 gives almost a million numbers for an area of 200,000 souls!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: 7up
Now tell me... say my area code is 0234, how does changing it to 01234 make any difference?

It freed up 03xx, 05xx, 07xx etc. numbers which were previously STD codes.

Exactly. It freed up codes that are now used for mobiles, premium rate, tech support etc.
In other words we never really ran out of numbers, the tory government of the time just wanted to help its rich chums to make yet more money - at the expense of everyone else.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
Didn't know diseases had area codes  Grin

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=std+phone+wikipedia&l=1
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Roll eyes Roll eyes