cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is white the new black?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is white the new black?

Are the car makers running out of black paint?
During my daily traveling around the roads of Hertfordshire, I've noticed an increasing number of white cars, particularly top-of-range late models from BMW, Ford, Merc, VW, Audi, Lexus and an increasing number of Prius's (or is that Prii) the numbers are not huge but seems to be increasing. I passed a large BMW dealer earlier today that had 3 white cars in the indoor showroom, my Toyota dealer has a couple for sale as well.
Not too long ago the only white car you saw were RR or Princess wedding cars. Or Police cars, leading me to assume that if a white car appeared in my mirrors I assumed it was a Police car until identified otherwise.
Personally I wouldn't give you a thank you for a white car, no other colour shows dirt and general grubbiness like white, a company I used to work for supplied me with a new vehicle every 3 years, it was always white, so I speak from some experience here.
Does this mean that "White Van Man" will have to think of something else now? something in a tasteful shade of pink perhaps...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Is white the new black?

Something in a shade of blue may be.  Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

I agree that cars look better in Black but I know some people prefer White.
I suppose there is an increase in White cars to try and lift people's mood?
Didn't Red go through a similar popularity due mainly to the fact it was cheaper?
Euge
Grafter

Heh, yeah red was popular until people realised it faded to pink  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Do you remember Ford had a shade of blue (I think it was, may have been a red) that suffered in sunlight and, you could literally lift the paint off the roof in a sheet. Another blue shade from Ford "faded" to a purple patina, if it was all over evenly I thought it looked quite nice, a fore runner of metallic paint.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Petlew
a fore runner of metallic paint.

Wasn't  that back in the 1970s ?
Community Veteran

Indeed it was MC, my dad had a Mk3.5 Cortina (Mk3 with a Mk4 interior as they were unoffically known) that was in this dark blue, was a little like the current fad for mother-of-pearl finishes you can spot nowadays. Although I must admit I see most mornings a beautifully kept MGB GT in one of these MoP's (Gold into blue shades) and it is quite impressive...unless it needs a body repair, and then its a second mortgage I would guess.

N/A

White has always been the preferred colour in this household. A couple of Toyota Yaris' ago my OH wanted white and there were none so he had it specially ordered and in consequence we have never seen another Verso in white.
We came to swap it and we got the shaking head syndrome from the sales reps. apparently white was totally 'out' - nobody wanted it. He eventually got a garage to accept it as a trade in (it was in brilliant condition) and lo and behold they only had it on the forecourt for about a couple of weeks and it was gone. I wish that we still had this colour as it was excellent for matching/touching up when there were  small scratches etc. This metallic one is a pain.
Now I see lots of white cars so I think that it is coming back.
alanb
Grafter

White is the favourite colour for cars in many tropical countries bacause it absorbs less heat from the sun. Perhaps car manufacturers have excess stock intended for sale overseas that they've been unable sell in the target markets and they're unloading them in the relatively more affluent European market.
Community Veteran

@alanb, thats the best and probably the most plausible suggestion I've heard so far for the minor upsurge in white cars around (in a single sampler survey) And no doubt you are right about tropical countries, whenever I've hired a car in the Canaries it has nearly always been white (or a very light colour)
@poppy, agreed there. My local used car dealer (from whom we've purchased 5 cars now) tells me he wouldn't buy in a white car from the trade, nor part exchange one, simply because he can't shift it. Whenever I'm buying a car from him I usually tell him what I'm looking for in any colour except black or white (sorry I don't like black either, although I think it was Volvo who had a rather nice metallic flake black once upon a time) Apart from that I'm not usually in a position to specify colours of my cars, had 4 silver cars in a row, and now a rather nice light metallic green.

Euge
Grafter

There is a car rental company in Australia that only provides white cars. They look a bit efficient and regimental to me and no doubt to do with the extreme heat in their country.
techguy
Grafter

As they reflect heat I suppose.
Euge
Grafter

Yes as opposed to absorb. They also have a slogon of 'No Birds' go figure