cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this yet another pointless directive from the E.U.?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this yet another pointless directive from the E.U.?

To me this seems to me to be a pointless directive from the EU granted the idea is laudable but have you seen the number of pedestrians / cyclists and even motorist that wear headphones or ear buds, the odds are the majority of them will still be none the wiser to the car’s presence.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Link fixed.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

Re: Is this yet another pointless directive from the E.U.?

@Anonymous Makes sense to me from the point of the visually impaired, but as you say, it won't do anything for the zombies. I admit to listening to music very often when out walking, but I only use one 'telephone' type earpiece, and remove it in really busy traffic or narrow roads. I am always aware of traffic because in my experience many drivers are unaware of pedestrians - an evn if the do see them, appear to disregard them.

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Anonymous 

Something weird about that link (at least that's what I'm seeing).  It seems to have been somehow prefixed with a link to this thread.  Undecided

This edited link works to get to your intended article.  Wink

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@jab1 

As you haven't commented, did the original link work for you?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I prepared the message offline and copied and pasted so must have fat fingered something. Now if the editing time was more sensible I could have corrected it Ticked_off

Highlighted
Hero

@RobPN The original link, as you said previously, came back here, but I'd already read the BBC story, I knew what @Anonymous was on about, but posted my reply on the wrong tab. Not quite certain what happened, but it's up now - in the right place.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

@Anonymous  Yes, I agree, the editing time is stoopid..... the only way to edit a post now, is to Report yourself to the mods, and ask for them to correct the problem...

Not very good if there are no mods online... Perhaps PN is taking lessons from the EU> and issuing STOOPID orders ...

Back on topic...

The directive from the EU is a  bit STOOPID.. too... why do manufacturers have to make their vehicles NOISY, when ...

"  drivers will have the power to deactivate the devices if they think it is necessary."

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well it's something I suppose and we'd only really appreciate it if we were blind or visually impaired ourselves?

As was said folks in a world of their own will walk out in front of a vehicle anyway, and also as was in the news recently the driver will get all of the blame instead of sharing it. 

Sure many cars ignore pedestrians, but many pedestrians ignore cars as well. 

Great one in Cardigan a couple of days ago - heavy slow moving single lane traffic through the town centre (despite the bypass) as it's the holiday period and lo and behold, a lady on one of those mobility scooters and oblivios to all came straight out of a side street into the road  - and if that was not bad enough she then kept to to centre of it.

Cars behind beeped and honked of course but she just stuck a finger up at them!

Highlighted
Hero

@Minivanman Sadly, you get twonks everywhere.

John
Highlighted
All Star

@Minivanman  Question...are mobilty scooters legally allowed on the road??? Dont knowHuh

Highlighted
Hero

@TTman Dual speed (4/8mph) with lights, mirrors &c - yes Single speed (4mph) - no.

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do if they have a number plate and comply to the regulations.

Highlighted
Hero

@Anonymous DO they have to be plated? I know at least four road-legal scooter owners, in different areas of the country, who have asked this when acquiring them, who have been told 'No - totally optional'

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

So with mobility scooters being electric, will they now have to have a 'noise safety aid' as well?

Interesting to note from that last link provided by @Anonymous that "A tax disc is required and must be displayed"