cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this speed limit legal?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Is this speed limit legal?

these signs are on the entrance and exit from a village on the A487 at Blaenporth
A)the 40 is not in a red circle
B) there are no 40 repeater signs
Came through tonight in a convoy at about 55
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Is this speed limit legal?

Usually see that sort of sign before a bend - it is a maximum recommended speed
http://www.learners-guide.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1279813329ProgressMainRoads.pdf
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Street lighting iirc also indicates speed limits, that photo I'd say would be 40 or 30 would have to check highway code
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It's below a warning triangle so in theory its a warning that the maximum speed past that junction should be 40. Thats theoretical though so don't go shooting past when there is a plod around or you could get unlucky.
@Gus, even areas with streetlights will have a 30 sign as you enter the area somewhere. The street light thing is supposed to be a guide but it isn't a rule set in stone (despite the fact they give the total opposite impression in all publications).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's a recommended speed.
The only legal aspect I suspect would be that if you had an accident and were doing more than the recommended maximum you'd get done for driving without due care and attention.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had a look at the same road on street view, i.e a few years ago, it had the  legal signage then, but again no repeaters, and the two minor side road had no de-restriction signs, I reckon some one local is trying it on.
Most of the other villages along that road have a good system, short legal 50 section, then slightly longer legal 40 section before the 30 starts.
Went all the way from Aberystwyth to Cardigan (Aberteifi) and that system was well used
matt_2k34
Grafter

Its also worth noting that prior to that sign there probably *was* a speed limit (red circled) sign, was recently told about how many of these get stolen for peoplse big "Oh" birthdays, quite suprising.
I'd agree that its a recommendation tho, and jelvs probably spot on with the driving without due care and attention...
Regards
Community Veteran

Welcome to our neck of the woods Pierre. You are quite right that even legal ones do not always have de-restrictions at minor roads. the new road system to Aberporth off the A497 is a case at the moment. Did you enjoy coping with holiday traffic, Mansel Davies tankers & mobile haystacks between Cardigan and Aberystwyth?Huh
I agree with Jelv #4. we have quite a few "advisory" limit signs hereabouts, it is a cheaper way of trying to do something about driver behaviour without the costs of reminder signs and street lights. It can be confusing because many of them look like legal signs except for the black surround. It certainly not a local being clever, the Assembly puts them up, there is some who guess that they will become legalised if no-one moans about them.
Regards,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you mean that road past the end of the main runway on the South Wales International not airport?, confused my poor old satnav
those signs of mine were very close to that