cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this misleading

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is this misleading

If a ISP company called XYZ advertises broadband at a certain price in a national newspaper but then adds at the bottom of the advert this price is only available in certain areas then few could complain about such an advert but if the same advert appeared in a local newspaper where the circulation covered a county but nowhere in that county could you get XYZ broadband at the lower price could it not be argued the advert whilst not misleading in the legal sense was sharp practice ?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Is this misleading

Given that I very much doubt that there is a county in the UK where there isn't an exchange which is either Market B (Plusnet) or LLU (Sky, TalkTalk) can you provide some background to your hypothetical question
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

sounds like the offer of Heart internet a few years back where they advertised the price available to a single LLU card at a vat exclusive rate without mentioning that to keep there headline offering low, something they got fined for by the ASA
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Oldjim
Given that I very much doubt that there is a county in the UK where there isn't an exchange which is either Market B (Plusnet) or LLU (Sky, TalkTalk) can you provide some background to your hypothetical question
As I understand it the price you pay for broadband will depend on where you live, if that statement is incorrect then it would be unnecessary for adverts showing a minimum price for broadband adding at the bottom of their adverts that this price  is not available in all areas ?
I Have no idea in what areas it is lower or higher or why this is the case ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

In the case of Plusnet it is the Market classification of the exchange as set by OFCOM
In the case of LLU it is where the exchange has been unbundled
Other than that I am not aware of any price differential by area