cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this likely to be genuine?

Highlighted
Rising Star

Is this likely to be genuine?

I have just received an email from xxxx@mms.ee.uk with the title This Multi Media Message was sent wirefree from an MMS phone. The xxxx seems to be a UK mobile mobile number as it starts 4478 but is not in my list of contacts. I haven't opened it and don't intend to but can anyone tell me whether it is likely to be dodgy as there seems to be an attachment to it?

I am used to the normal scams such as my PayPal account has been suspended but haven't come across anything like this.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Is this likely to be genuine?

Google it.

Some people say it's a scam, others say it's genuine.  

There's even a mention of it being a bug in EE's system.

You decide............

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

My reaction, if I don't recognise the sender of a text, MMS or anything else, is to delete without opening. The chances are it will be spam.

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm inclined to agree with @jab1, if it's that important they'll call you and you can ask them to re-send if needed.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

From addresses can be easily spoffed.

Try and get the e-mail headers and post them on here, just make sure if there is any personal information in them to remove it from the data.

Highlighted
Rising Star

@Alex  Thanks but I've now permanently deleted it. However all I could see was (No subject) followed by "This Multi Media Message was sent wirefree from an MMS phone" 

Thanks to all for the replies. 

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Other thing I can think of is have you had your mobile number for long?

When I took out a second contract I had a new mobile number, which I assume had been recycled as I was getting strange texts and nobody knew that number as I still was using my main one.

Only reason I got a second mobile, this was in the pre-cross networks era minutes. Costs an arm and a leg if someone wasn't on the same network as you and it done my head in. Some companies were doing cashback deals - so you take the risk if they go bust you won't get it.

Worked out at paying £50 for a chepo phone, same as PAYG. The contract with inclusive minutes to another friends network worked out line rental free once you got the cashback for 12 months.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think there is a clue to the fact this this may well be spam in the terminology used in the text i.e. ‘wirefree’. Used in an attempt to give the message some credibility as I can’t see why such an odd turn of phrase would be used.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Didn't pick up on that @Anonymous but yes given that I would now suspect it to be a scam and I would ignore like the OP has done.

Highlighted
Rising Star

@Alex. It came through to my email. I've had this address for about 15 years. It is one I use for general use. I have another one I use for banking etc. My mobile number is even older.

Wirefree seems an odd phrase as Nook said.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yep, ok that rules that out.

What extension is the attachment?

I still suspect it is not legit and I would avoid.

Highlighted
Rising Star

@Alex Thanks but I've deleted it now. All I can remember was a paper clip symbol and the information given early.

I am very wary as a few years I got an email that seemed to come from a friend with a message "you will like this" and it invited me to open an attachment. I was suspicious as it was signed Victoria and not Vicky. Luckily I phoned her and didn't open it.

Thanks again for your time and help.