cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this legal ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is this legal ?

Whilst out the other day I came across, Bull in Field , sign.
Is this legal on a public right of way ?
I have seen a number of these signs before but they looked old but this one was fairly new.
https://picasaweb.google.com/103437981783078569714/Desktop02?authkey=Gv1sRgCPiX8Nj0yZGX-QE
Not that I have ever seen any bulls in a field other than small ones.
Are the signs legal and what would happen if someone was attacked, would the farmer be liable ?
I often see barbed wire running along the top of a fence on farmland with a public right of way on the other side, assuming someone tripped and fell into the barbed wire would the farmer be liable ? Clearly there will be times they need to use barbed wire but do they need this running next to a public right of way ?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is this legal ?

It's fine in some circumstances and for young animals (not sure on the age limit).
When young I was taught that they needed to be with cows or heifers, not alone.
But since then I think it's been prohibited totally for some breeds.
I can't see a sign absolving a farmer from liability unless you contributed significantly to a "mishap".
Community Veteran

On a public right of way I wouldn't think it is legal particularly if it is to prevent walkers from using the land.  Maybe the ramblers Association would be able to give you a definitive answer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/Resources/Ramblers%20Association/Website/Rights%20of%20Way/Documents/Row_...
Precautions if you graze dairy bulls or entire male cattle for bull beef
Never keep them in fields with public rights of way, statutory or other permitted access. Remember, it is against the law to keep a recognised dairy bull in a field crossed by a public right of way.
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/rights_of_way/knowledge_portal/advice_notes/animals#Cattle
5. Section 59 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 bans the keeping of bulls in fields crossed by a right of way, except if they are
under the age of 10 months
or
not of a recognised dairy breed, provided that they are accompanied by cows or heifers.
‘Recognised dairy breeds’ are defined as the following: Ayrshire, British Friesian, British Holstein, Dairy Shorthorn, Guernsey, Jersey and Kerry
Community Veteran

Interesting information!  Looks like gleneagles should make a complaint but who to?  Would the Ramblers Association take this up?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If a Bull with cows or yearling's are in a field last thing you do is go in, Bull with cows in season will attack.  Yearling's are as dangerous, as they are unpredictable and are likely to run through anything in their way if spooked, a herd of yearlings all weighing in at 750lbs each can easily demolish a wall/car/you.
Guess the farmer has had too many entering and getting chased.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I suggest reading the first document I linked which says this
Signs
Even though you should have made every effort not to keep aggressive, or potentially aggressive, animals in a field or area with public access, it is good practice to display signs informing the public when a bull, or calves with cows, are in the area.
Community Veteran

A couple of "innocent" members of the public are killed each year for failing to appreciate that normally placid cows with calves can be extremely aggressive in "protecting" their young. They're only doing what comes naturally to them. Survivors of such attacks usually cite the speed from first sighting (or being seen by) the cows that the attack happens. And its not just one cow, whole herds will attack together.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
A couple of "innocent" members of the public are killed each year for failing to appreciate that normally placid cows with calves can be extremely aggressive

the two most common factors were cows with calves and walkers with dogs
from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/6128438/Cows-are-not-the-only-rural-danger.html
Community Veteran

Yes, quite right HPsauce, I failed to mention that dogs are often involved. In these incidents the dogs usually escape unscathed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

This is why the recommendation is to let the dog of the lead in those circumstances