cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this legal ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is this legal ?

I thought the law had been changed to prevent certain things such as batteries and inflammable materials being sent through the post ?

If that is correct how is it that a search of Amazon for lighter fuel shows this can be purchased and sent through the post ?

9 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is this legal ?

When you say "post" do you mean Royal Mail? If so then flammable liquids are indeed banned.

https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/867/~/prohibited-goods---uk

I have not heard of any law change but various carriers have their own policies regarding what risky products they are willing to transport. 

Royal Mail does carry some items containing L-ion batteries but it needs to know what is in the package - I think so that they are not put on aeroplanes. I received a smoke alarm today by Royal Mail with a hazard warning on the box.

Community Veteran

Hasn't Amazon been recently dragged through the "courts" over this very subject.

Flammable

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

only because they didn't declare it on a couple of packages

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Through the post, I.E. Royal Mail, potentially flammable items are prohibited by RM, but, they can be sent by courier (and yes, couriers also can carry post) based on the courier's own rules, often cheaper than RM too...

But that said, I've had all kinds of prhibited things arrive in the postie's hands, it's up to the seller to declare to the post office what they're sending, if they lie and are caught out, then they can be fined a lot of money...

Community Veteran

As I understand it the carriers have to use special fireproof packages.

Recently here in the US Samsung have issued special packages for the return of their Note 7s which were catching Fire. I assume similar precautions will be taken in the UK.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was under the impression that Amazon do their own deliveries and don't use Royal Mail anymore.

Community Veteran

The girls next door regularly get Amazon parcels. Some are RM and some with a variety of couriers.

I've never heard of Amazon post. Though I expect they have a warehouse of drones on standby.Smiley

Fixes: 47

billnotben wrote:

I've never heard of Amazon post.

It's called Amazon Logistics and I get most of my Amazon orders delivered by them these days.

If the item I order is from a marketplace supplier then the carrier can be one of a number of different companies including Royal Mail.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat wrote:

If the item I order is from a marketplace supplier then the carrier can be one of a number of different companies including Royal Mail.

Or if it's a large parcel, or heavy, or an out of the way area Amazon Logistics pass the parcel to another delivery service. According to what has been written about the Amazon Logistic service on Tamebay,