cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this justice ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is this justice ?

We often hear about criminals getting much shorter sentences than we think they deserve but in one case a man who was given a minimum 10 month sentence ended up doing 11 years.

www.telegraph.co.uk

I suspect the chap had mental health problems which in my opinion makes it even worse, someone more articulate would have appealed long before that.

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Is this justice ?

which particular story are you linking to? as the URL simply goes the telepgraph home page.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

try this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41262920 @chenks76

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

gleneagles wrote:

We often hear about criminals getting much shorter sentences than we think they deserve but in one case a man who was given a minimum 10 month sentence ended up doing 11 years.

www.telegraph.co.uk

You're referring to this story presumably?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/14/prisoner-trapped-jail-decade-longer-original-10-month-sen...

I suspect the chap had mental health problems which in my opinion makes it even worse, someone more articulate would have appealed long before that.

And it states he has mental health problems in the article

Community Veteran

Though of course I have no idea of the full details it seems to me that because of his alleged mental problems prison was his only option.

Probably because any mental health care hospitals have long since been shut down and turned into housing estates.

One of the main reasons prisons are full to bursting.

Community Veteran

@DaveyH

yes that's it. Thanks for the full link.

I seem to have problems with copy and paste on a tablet, much easier on a desktop.

Smiley

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

Though of course I have no idea of the full details it seems to me that because of his alleged mental problems prison was his only option.

Probably because any mental health care hospitals have long since been shut down and turned into housing estates.

One of the main reasons prisons are full to bursting.

There are a number of mental health units across the country, certainly not enough but that should be no reason to keep someone in jail for that period of time.

There are not enough care homes for the elderly who might be at risk in not being able to look after themselves properly but no reasonable person is going to suggest we put them in prison ?

Smiley

DaveyH
Pro

Let's face it failing those with mental health issues is nothing new for this country...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Arson is not a risk to the public? I don't understand that one.
DaveyH
Pro

You're looking at it out or context, but if you consider he set alight to his mattress in his cell, and has a history of self harm...
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

These sort of  people should not be locked up and forgotten , they need help not locking up Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

gleneagles wrote:

You seem to be confusing Mental Health Problems with what is nowadays euphemistically referred to as Learning Difficulties.  People with Mental Health Problems are not necessarily of low intelligence or inarticulate.  In fact many are academic high achievers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

DaveyH wrote:
You're looking at it out or context, but if you consider he set alight to his mattress in his cell, and has a history of self harm...

Don't think so, if you start a fire then surely there is a risk of it spreading elsewhere and causing danger to others?

Community Veteran

Jonpe wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

You seem to be confusing Mental Health Problems with what is nowadays euphemistically referred to as Learning Difficulties.  People with Mental Health Problems are not necessarily of low intelligence or inarticulate.  In fact many are academic high achievers.

I am confusing nothing, as you can see from what I said and I quote, ' I suspect this chap' so I was referring to him and nobody else.

I cannot see how you could have misread that ?

St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

These forums are getting very boring these days ...... 

Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970