cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this just me, or is it really a rip-off?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is this just me, or is it really a rip-off?

About to make a routine visit to the dentist on Monday afternoon. When I booked the appointment I was advised that "my" regular dentist had left the practise and, would it be Ok if I was seen by her replacement?
Over many years; house moves, relocations and just wishing to change, I've encountered numerous dentists. Good or bad, the one common denominator that almost without exception they share is, an utter disregard and disapproval of the work carried out by the previous dentist "well I probably wouldn't have done it that way!!" "has this been giving you any trouble?, no! I am surprised" "Look. I'm going to have to repair this previous attempt" "These are the worst crowns I've ever seen"
Not surprisingly, all this "additional" work only seems to swell the bank balance of the dentist, have no discernible effect in my mouth and, reduce my funds accordingly. Probably the worst episode was to become embroiled with a medical insurance rip-off type company called Denplan. Who wanted over £1000 of work (I had been through a lengthy period without seeing a dentist) before they would take me on. And, surprisingly (not) some of the "essential" work to be done after the initial enrolment work didn't seem to be covered and required additional payment. Needless to say I no longer deal with Denplan.
In a rather seedy part of my local large town, a dentist occasionally puts out a pavement board that it is taking on NHS patients. Next time I think I will give it a try, although its some distance from me to travel, that's if its not heavily over-subscribed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
22 REPLIES
scootie
Grafter

Re: Is this just me, or is it really a rip-off?

am not 100% sure how the nhs contracts work but am sure ive heard some speak about the nhs denits also doing unnessary work due to how points base nhs contracts work for the dentists. so for them to earn that bit extra they will do somthing else that knocks the work they do on you a point up the nhs pay ladder
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There are 3 points on the NHS scale - these cover a course of treatment, not just a single visit.
I think the maximum is around £170-180 or thereabouts.

Community Veteran

Yes there are 3 bands.  All explained here:
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1781.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=74
Lurker
Grafter

I think your experience with Denplan is more to do with the dentist than the plan.
We've always had great experience with Denplan (needed very little work done before I could join, and given it was around 5 years since my last visit, it seemed believable.)
My wife needed treatment when in Croatia on business a few months ago, she paid by cheque and got the receipt etc and was refunded the cost as soon as she returned to the UK.
As with all insurance policies, it is worth reading to ensure you understand what is covered, and what isn't too.
N/A

I've had the same NHS dentist for a long time and he is OK. I did wonder about the unnecessary work though at the beginning of this year when I had a filling re-done. I didn't have any problems with the tooth so I just had to go with what was said to me. I feel reasonably confident that he wouldn't have done the work if it wasn't needed.
Luckily, although I have crowns they have all been fine and not had to pay too much over the years.
James
Grafter

I've found a more cost effective solution.
Stop going to dentist.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well Jameseh, I think you might just have something there. I have felt for some time that the dental work being carried out is very largely unnecessary. And as for dental hygienists...I won't go down that road, except to say: like most body functions it is self repairing if left to its own devices, as soon as plaque is "scraped" off it immediately reforms, why? because it is a natural defense to fill the gaps between teeth and gums, removing it in my 'umble opinion leaves you open to problems rather than protecting you.
But that it only my opinion.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

My dentist is OK but doesn't automatically X-Ray and clean and polish which he is supposed to do in the lowest charge band.  I have to remind him.
James
Grafter

Isn't that what brushing your teeth does?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ Petlew.... Are you not of "a certain age" when dentstry is free? 
also why not ring the local dental help line, and see where dentists are taking on new patients.....
when I moved down here, I wanted to sign on , and did the above, they gave me the name and address of one about 10 miles away, but that was of little consequence to me, I went there, and it was diabolical... in an old 2 up 2 down house, but the dentist area was relatively clean, not exactly state of the art, but probably served its purpose.... had an examination, and (had a broken filling at the time) the dentist said, the tooth would have to come out..... as it was giving no pain, I declined, saying I would make an appointment on my way out.... then went home and phoned the helpline again.... they gave me his name and address again, (cos it was the nearest to my postcode) so I said "anyone else?"  she said "yes but it is about 15 miles away,"... I said " no problem".... went there and it was a Brand New NHS facility... with a Polish/Ukranian/Latvian (or somewhere thereabouts) female dentist,.... super job. ! Not keen on the actual visit/inspection/work, but it certainly is 1,000 percent better than having it (work) done by a butcher...... by the way she said no need to take the tooth out, and gave me a temp filling....
so dental help line to the rescue...
Tyreal74
Grafter

i had to change dentist when i was younger i ahd loads of work done witht he prior dentist...weh i went to the new one they said
and i quote!
"What have you had so much work done for, your teeth of fine"  GRRRRR guess when growing up though i didnt havea  choice
Community Veteran

@ Petlew.... Are you not of "a certain age" when dentstry is free?

Is dentistry ever free on the NHS?  I thought patients always had to pay.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

NHS dental treatment can sometimes be free for a number of reasons - if you can find a dentist to provide it. However, in England there is no automatic entitlement ABOVE certain age only if UNDER 18.
For England see
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Dentalcosts.aspx
Wales and Scotland have their own NHS charging schemes. (e.g. Over 60s get free check ups in Wales).
Community Veteran

Looks like it could be even more difficult to get dental treatment.  The government seem to have shot themselves in the foot again:
http://tinyurl.com/ybt5xqo