Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this illegal ?

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Is this illegal ?

Most will have seen the news about Martin Bashir’s interview with Diana.

Matt Wiessler claims to have falsified documents for Bashir but says he did not know what they were for....

Two Questions......Is it not illegal to use forged documents for personal gain ?

Second....if it is illegal why are the police not involved irrespective of any external investigation set up by the BBC ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
G3WYP
Rising Star

Re: Is this illegal ?

There was an offence under the Theft Act 1968 of obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception which I understand is covered by later Fraud legislation.

For Police to get involved there needs to be a complainant!

Derek 

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not sure where the percuniary advantage comes in at this stage but it does seem like some form of gaslighting was involved and the BBC does seem to be taking it seriously.

If the guy presented forged documents in order to persuade of encourage Diana to give an interview then sneaky yes, but where else has this happend and where else other than the BBC? 

It's a can or worms that will only be counted I guess if they are able to talk to Martin Bashir once he recovers.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
gleneagles
Community Veteran

@G3WYP wrote:

There was an offence under the Theft Act 1968 of obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception which I understand is covered by later Fraud legislation.

For Police to get involved there needs to be a complainant!

Derek 

I guess her brother would be the one complaining.

G3WYP
Rising Star

I would suggest that the pecuniary advantage is that by doing so he got numerous awards, a lucrative job in the USA and then Religious editor for the BBC.

Would be interesting to see that as he was an employee of the Britain Bashing Corporation they also got a pecuniary advantage i.e. many millions of pounds for selling the interview across the world?

Derek

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Minivanman 

Does not really matter where else it might have happened either it is illegal or it is not.

He was paid a good sum of money for that interview so forged documents were used for financial gain.

Whilst it’s not illegal to take advantage of someone who is vulnerable by telling them deliberate lies for your own benefit there should be a degree of responsibility on a well known organisation to check facts before broadcasting, another slip up being Cliff Richards, compensation being paid by those who pay the licence fee.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles 

Well no, all I am suggesting is that it's a huge can of worms to sort out. As for a good sum of money, what was he paid and by who? 

Accepted practice of this sort has been going on the years under the radar and no it's not right but it's life, and nowhere near the phone hacking scandal of late. Lets see what the man himself has to say if he recovers, lets wonder why her brother has left it so late in the day, and let's remember both sides were playing games with each other not least of all Diana herself.

Charles of course was playing games - but his were away from home between between the bedsheets. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison