cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this genuine (bearing in mind the date)?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is this genuine (bearing in mind the date)?

2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Is this genuine (bearing in mind the date)?

I quite liked the one about uk-considers-new-backwards-class-for-slow-broadband-communities
Proposed Criteria for Backwards Class Designation
• Communities where fixed broadband is slower than 10Mbps and Satellite is the only option
• Communities with a lot of alcoholics (classified simply as areas with a local pub)
• Communities where watching Youtube videos of cats doing silly things is gobbling up all of the available network capacity, which is now to be classed as devil worship with possible threat to life.
London City
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Is this genuine (bearing in mind the date)?

I thought this one was an April fool. If it is then a wide range of media have been taken in.
http://news.sky.com/story/1670893/laser-cloak-could-hide-earth-from-aliens
In order to hide the Earth from aliens by shining lasers for 10 hours per year one would need to know in which direction the aliens resided. By the time we found them then there is a good chance that they will already have found us. Also I don't see how an advanced civisation would be fooled unless the spectrum of the Sun was faithfully reproduced. Are there any natural sources of lasar light?
Also observing transits of planets across stars is just one way of finding planets. The Sun's wobble will reveal the existance of planets.
Planets are not uncommon in the Universe so why would an alien civilisation take a particular interest in this one if we did nothing? I would think seeing lasar beams would create far more interest.