cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a scam?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is this a scam?

Email received from (supposedly) Google Wallet...  anyone else seen one like this?

Hello,
As you may have noticed, you're currently unable to place new orders with your Google Wallet. My team has had to temporarily suspend your account because European law requires payment providers like Google Wallet to verify customer identity.
To lift this suspension and ensure the security of your account, please complete our form and provide the requested documents. If you don't supply the information needed to verify your identity, my team may have to close your Google Wallet.
Your data safety and privacy is very important to us! Google Wallet stores your information on secure servers and never shares it, except in the limited circumstances specified in our Privacy Policy.
We make great efforts to review your documentation and reply to you within 1 - 3 business days of receiving it through our form.
Thank you!
The Google Wallet Team
Google Wallet Learn More | FAQs | Help Center | Contact Us | Forum | Privacy Policy | How to recognise suspicious emails
Google Payment Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN#900008.
Google Payment Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 5903713. Its registered address is Belgrave House, 76 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9TQ.

10 REPLIES
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Re: Is this a scam?

I would say that it is a scam.
Community Veteran

I ask because Google's help pages state this...
Legitimate messages sent by Google may ask you to click a link to verify your email address. If we're unable to verify the information in your Google Wallet account, we'll request additional documentation from you by sending an email from noreply@wallet.google.com or noreply@Wallet.l.google.com. This email will ask you to sign in to your Google Wallet account and submit documents that verify your billing details. Google won't ask you to provide this sort of information until you've signed in successfully to your account.
This method of checking seems very dangerous to me!
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

That link just takes you to a general page, not a forum page.
EDIT: ok, fixed now.
That's rubbish. If Google think people are going to submit personal info like that they have another think coming!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

what info do they want
Community Veteran

Login details, then apparently (from what I've read in other forums) copies of passport, utility bill, all the normal stuff that a Bank would need for a new account.
I won't bother.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Very sensible - I wouldn't let Google anywhere near my credit card details
Factoid
I had a few fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards from Google Play which surprised me as I hadn't added a credit card to my Google Account. It turns out that my better half had bought a couple of Ebooks from them and it had stored the credit card details automatically.
As you may imagine I did two things
Hardened up my Google Account password and removed all credit card details
nanotm
Pro

its a crock of shit
if you read through there page you can remove the limitation simply by adding a card to the account and purchasing something!
also the email metadata shows that its coming from a spoof address so probably means someone wants you to add your card so they can max it out for you ! (certainly that's the case for the 17 of them I received in the last month) I sent google a copy of the email but they haven't done anything about it so far ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

The first line would have had me convinced it was a scam.
The easy way to check is to hover the cursor over the links and see what sites they actually link to: if they don't point to a google (in this case) site, it's as scam.  Or if it's not, it's a bunch of total incompetents, either way you don't want to be giving them any information at all - including a reply that would confirm your e-mail address is genuine.
Community Veteran

The links do indeed point to Google addresses, but the email address it came from isn't one of their "approved" mailshot addresses, although it looks similar.
If it's genuine, they should be ashamed of asking for stuff like that in that way. As far as I'm concerned, my credit card provider is the only one that needs my personal details; Google, Paypal, etc simply hold the card securely (I hope) for convenient use. My personal details ain't nothing to do with them, especially if they are manned by a bunch of incompetents!