cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a poor use of charitable donations

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Is this a poor use of charitable donations

Three people are being treated for exposure to rabies after being bitten by an infected puppy which was in quarantine.
The puppy was one of five brought by a rescue charity from Sri Lanka to the quarantine kennels in the Chingford area of north-east London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7368383.stm
15 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Is this a poor use of charitable donations

Yes...but that's the British for you Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

That's probably the first time anything interesting's happening in Chingford.
Fixes: 47

The local newspaper will have to dig out it's typewriter and Gutenberg press Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
N/A

I can see your point. Being a dog lover myself, I am aware of all the homeless animals that we have in this country without importing more.  The charitable donations might have been better used setting up facilities in the country of origin.
scootie
Grafter

never mind chartiety money. in my view i would rather have the goverment spend r billions stoping deforresting of the amazon, providing clean water to every one in the world come how much would that cost to do. and many other simple things like these and yes spend alot more of r money improving life here ie one surrgestion build some prisons that r run by the goverment instead of private companys that build them for peanuts out of rubish materials that a new born baby could tunnel out off.
so which two countries is that all these billions of pounds r being spent this very minute and what has all those billions done to improve life for those in them countries and what has it done for r's no london underground was bombed before we went storming in with usa. and where does usa spend there money. well they funded the breaded bin larden's family why they lived in there country and where did the I.R.A get most of there money to begin with hum the usa.
so a charity spending a few quid on helping some dogs is fine by me why the heads of the most powerfull countrys spend billions causing most of the pain in the first place.
ha no one petioned the goverment to not go in to iraq to the degree that the motirsts of this country petioned the goverment as soon as they heard road pricing.
my opion then is the people that pay all this money to the goverment should stand up and say how we want this money to be spent.
we now days just seem to roll over and do as they say.
take the scot fuel plant fighting to keep there pentions ect what do the news report how angry the rest of the u.k is that they might not be able to use the gas guzzlers for a day or two. what a joke this country is bring back the coal strikes and teach the people that hold the cash of this country a lesson.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why is IRA in uppercase - no other word is. Well done with the full stops though.  Smiley

Community Veteran

Quote from: ASBO
o a charity spending a few quid on helping some dogs is fine by me
The point of the post was not the fact that they were helping some dogs but the totally inefficient way they were doing it.
Cost of flying 5 dogs from Sri Lanka to UK - not known but has got to be over £250 per dog
Cost of quarantine for 6 months about £1400 per small dog
Total cost for 5 dogs £8,250
Just think how many dogs could be given shelter etc. in Sri Lanka for that
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Strat
The local newspaper will have to dig out it's typewriter and Gutenberg press Smiley

I saw that program too! !  interesting how he was in the Wine Pressing Cellar, and thought  "I know, I`ll use one of these old machines and recycle it into a "printing machine" and the I can print the bible and sell it"  Roll eyes Cheesy Roll eyes
scootie
Grafter

if your not happy about them being flew here instaed of staying there where it might be cheaper then kick a fuss up the same as u all did about being charged to use the roads.
and for where i use ....................... and CAPITALS. i dont care where i put them because as of what your moaning about wasting money. the goverment wasted it trying to teach me stuff i didnt want to learn and not what i wanted to learn 10 granded wasted for that ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Total cost for 5 dogs £8,250
Just think how many dogs could be given shelter etc. in Sri Lanka for that

Or the U.k for that matter....
Undecided
Community Veteran

Who said anything about the charges to use the roads and in any case what has that got to do with efficient use of public donations to maximise the benefit to the recipients - in this case Sri Lankan dogs
N/A

Surely the only people that can really comment are those who may have considered donating to the charity in question, or those who have donated.
To everyone else, its a non-issue.
They didn't spend our money, so its not really much to do with us.
We could argue that the chain of events led to the NHS using resources to treat the sick that they may otherwise have not had to do, however the same could be argued for a great many of the times that the resources of the country are used.
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
Surely the only people that can really comment are those who may have considered donating to the charity in question, or those who have donated.
To everyone else, its a non-issue.
They didn't spend our money, so its not really much to do with us.

If it's a UK registered charity and they take donations from UK tax payers then the tax relief affects us all and we are all entitled to comment on the validity of the charity's use of funds.
Community Veteran

Which I think is largely the role of the Charities Commission who are now checking more; hence the recent "issues" regarding private schools with charitable status.  Roll eyes