cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a massive con trick?

thisoldman
Grafter

Is this a massive con trick?

In january i decided to replace my ancient bedroom tv with a samsung lcd. The curry'smanager assured me it was hd ready.
Last tuesday I noticed that there was a hd program on bbc2 so in great anticipation, i loked forward to viewing my first hd program.
I could not see/notice any improvement at all.  Further enquiries in my small village, mainly from rural vilagers not technically qualified, seem to suggest that it is not possible to get hd without more specialized equipment.
So whats the point of hd ready tvs when you cant get it. I live in a good reception area. Is hd tv just another great uk con trick?
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Is this a massive con trick?

Not a con at all, though the clue is in the designation: ‘HD ready’. That means it's ready to accept a source of HD video with which it is provided, such as from a games console, Blu-Ray player, or Sky HD box. ‘Simple’ HD television where you just turn on your new TV and out pops HD programmes is coming in the form of Freeview HD, but I don't believe there're any products compatible with that just yet. Once products are available, you'll be able to buy yourself a Freeview HD set-top box and then you'll see all the extra detail you've been missing. Alternatively, you could try taking the TV back to Currys to get your money back and wait for a TV with built-in Freeview HD, but knowing what DSG (the company that owns Currys) is like, that's probably easier said than done.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You can plug them into appropriate Sky,  Cable, Internet, Freesat or (shortly) Freeview HD boxes. With a suitable player  you can watch Blu-ray DVDs (both players and DVDs are currently expensive). You can watch normal DVDs with players with upscaling abilities (not the cheapest DVD players but cheaper than Blu-ray  players).
I am sure that many people who don't take a close interest in technology have also bought HD ready TVs expecting HD without further outlay for receivers and/or services. If all one sees is an HD Ready label that seems a understandable assumption to make.
thisoldman
Grafter

thank you both for info. I am disappointed.Still.....one learns.....
Fixes: 47

As I understand it the screen on a HD Ready TV is not capable of resolving full 1080 High Definition and never will be.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Some are, some aren't.
Community Veteran

There is a separate designation for 1080p-ready TVs.
Community Veteran

Quote from: thisoldman
I noticed that there was a hd program on bbc2

To be fair, you noticed wrongly.
It would have been on a BBC HD channel, not a standard terrestrial channel as they are never HD.
The HD channels are usually available via cable or satellite though there are experiments on HD via Freeview.
And as you now know, new equipment is required to receive HD signals.
That said, the way shops etc. promote this is often misleading. " sins of omission"  Roll eyes
PS. @Be3G - 1080i is also full-definition of course so it's really confusing.
The whole arena is however full of bull-s**t as it's the "native resolution" of the display that is most critical
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
Some are, some aren't.

I think 1080p is but not 1080i.  There was an article recently in Computeractive.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Be careful of going HD though. It depends on the size of the screen if you will see much serious improvement. I read recently somewhere that for LCD below 28 inch you might be better off not bothering with the not inconsiderable expense. Indeed my bedroom "cheap 'n' nasty" 15" Akura from Tesco's has superb picture quality. The living room 26" Samsung picture is far better than my son's 54" (I think that's what it is...but its big!!) HD plasma.
One of the problems with HD -and I've posted this before- is that there is sometimes too much detail, especially with your favorite celebrities, who often appear with all their personal faults for all the world to see. You may just have all your dreams shattered...
Personally I shall remain happily HD "ready"
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've got to agree with Petlew.  I visited a friend over Christmas who had SkyHD with a 32" TV.  He proudly demonstrated this to me.  I couldn't tell which was HD and which wasn't on his TV until he showed me the same pictures on both (darts I think it was), and then if you looked carefully and the SkyHD box flipped from one channel to the other quick enough you could see more detail in the HD version, though you wouldn't have missed it if you weren't thinking about it!
Phil

I've flipped between BBC HD and BBC 2 showing the same programme and to be honest I struggle to tell the difference on my 40" 1080 screen Sad
johpal
Grafter

Present satellite broadcasts are 1080i (interlaced; first the odd-numbered lines of a picture are shown, then in the next frame, the even-numbered lines are shown; our "persistence of vision" makes the picture seem whole, but some people notice the flickering). Standard definition TV is broadcast in this way too, to reduce the amount of bandwidth required (allowing more channels in the space available).
1080p is usually only found on blu-ray disks; all 1080 lines of the picture are shown in a single frame; a large amount of data. 720p is another HD standard, where the picture is made up of 720 lines per frame. This is, I understand, the standard to be used by terrestrial Freeview HD.
Comparing 1080i with 720p, I can't tell the difference, but I understand 720p is better where there is a lot of action, such as sports events.
I am cynical about the whole HD business; I think it's been introduced in a half-hearted manner, that the manufacturers have milked for profit. Seems we're in for a repeat of the process with the introduction of 3D.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Strat, if you get on your knees with a magnifying glass about 3" from your screen and concentrate really hard you'll see the difference!  Isn't that how everyone watches TV!  Cheesy
Phil

Thanks for the tip Phil. I'll give it a try when I get home Wink Cheesy
I think I've still got the 12" square magnifying glass on a stand I used to put in front of my 6" black and white TV back in the 50's.