cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this VAT correct

itsme
Grafter

Is this VAT correct

Several months ago the energy Ombudsman awarded me a sum of money payable to me by my energy provider. This was eventually credited  on this month bill and I noticed that total sum was made up of: Total Sum = y + 20%VAT. Now as energy only carry 5% VAT to me this mean that 15% of the compensation award is being paid by the Tax payer. Surely this can't be correct
10 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Is this VAT correct

I'm sure that 5% VAT rate only applies to gas or electricity supplied and that any other services provided would carry 20% rate.
Perhaps this is the reason.
itsme
Grafter

The award was to do with energy supplied so the only VAT I pay is 5%
But thinking more about it I believe any compensation award should not have a VAT element to it as this reduce the cost to the company.
Fixes: 125

Just a guess but if it's classed as compensation or similar then perhaps the company attracts 20% whereas a refund would be the original 5%.
Or did the company charge you 20% in error in the first place?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I thought the 5% rate of VAT on energy only applied in Scotland?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

England also and most probably UK wide.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
gswindale
Grafter

This link may provide some info and assistance.
Energy supplies are subject to standard VAT rates unless domestic.
itsme
Grafter

My energy is domestic and I never see no other rate than 5%
So the ombudsman awarded me compensation of x which my Utility provided raised as a credit as x=y+20% As this is a credit when it appear on their VAT returns it will be a negative figure. So I have the sum awarded credited to my account which will deplete for each bill with only 5% VAT applied. So has the Utility provider benefited  from the use of the 20%? I believe they have.
gswindale
Grafter

might be worth double checking with them.
I suspect that it's arisen as part of a "glitch" on their system that states that any ad-hoc credits should be standard rated.
Was the amount of compensation "x" or was it "x+20%"?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you Google "vat compensation payments" there's plenty comes up. E.g. http://businessdatabase.indicator.co.uk/article.php?nlid=UKTATXAR_EU092102&src=search&domid=53 which suggest that if they do it right it is legal.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vatscmanual/vatsc35000.htm looks to be the right place to start. Does your case match one of the precedents listed on that page?
How about a call to 0845 010 9000 (HM Revenue and Customs VAT helpline)? I'm sure they'd be interested if VAT should not have been applied!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

@jev Thanks for the latter link, it did not occur to me to do a search on this  Embarrassed I will take it up with HMRC as I had 2 years of problems and still ongoing with my Utility provider so much of a pain I can be to them the better.