cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there nothing you can't do with a mobile today?

Fixes: 125

Is there nothing you can't do with a mobile today?

Denmark to swap stamps for texts
Danes sending a text bearing the word "PORTO" to the 1900 number will get in return a code that must be written on a letter in the place they would usually stick a stamp.

Initially only letters up to 50g in weight can bear the mobile postal code. Getting a code will cost 8 DKK (£0.92p), the standard rate for a letter, plus the usual cost of a text message

"We will, of course, still keep the Danish stamp tradition alive as the stamp adds qualities to a letter," he said.

The cost of a stamp remains the same but you do still have to pay the standard rate for sending the text.
My nearest post office is over a mile away so, for the odd urgent stamp I suppose I could go for the convenience but I usually have a stock of 1st and 2nd class stamps anyway.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Is there nothing you can't do with a mobile today?

Some of us even make phone calls using one...
Petlew retires to look up the definition of dinosaur...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
James
Grafter

di·no·saur   
[dahy-nuh-sawr]
–noun
any chiefly terrestrial, herbivorous or carnivorous reptile of the extinct orders Saurischia and Ornithischia, from the Mesozoic Era, certain species of which are the largest known land animals.
something that is unwieldy in size, anachronistically outmoded, or unable to adapt to change: The old steel mill was a dinosaur that cost the company millions to operate.
Origin:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yup! sounds about right...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
johpal
Grafter

With my mobile connected to the internet (via home WLAN), I could print out electronically stamped mail, but the effort of doing so would not be worth the effort! I hope a similar solution as the Danish one, will arrive in the UK and soon. I don't have the time to get to a Post Office to buy stamps.
In Finland, it has been possible for some time to buy items from vending machines, using your mobile to make payments.