cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anything I can do?

Community Veteran

Is there anything I can do?

I live in a small cul de sac built of 12 houses in the mid 70's at the end of a narrow country road in the middle of the country. There are a few houses around but really it is the middle of the country 4 miles from the local town.
I have a neighbour who has a house on the main road and rear entry onto the narrow country road opposite my house.
For the past 15 or more years he has being building. Exactly what no one knows. A structure that I think is a boat house right on the edge of the narrow road although he has no boat. He has also now built parking for his articulated lorry which spends much of its time parked along the footpath on the narrow road beside my house. He has diggers, tractors, trailers and of course the lorry. He is continuously moving this equipment about from dawn to late at night. Often this blocks the road when myself or other neighbours are trying to get in or out. Not to mention the noise of the large diesel equipment moving about. My bedroom window looks almost directly onto this area at a short distance.
Sometimes when I am on the bicycle along the narrow country road where there is no room for two cars to pass I am met by him with some of this equipment, usually the 40 foot articulated lorry, travelling at speed.
I am not sure what he does for a living other than move this equiptment about! I know he is a qualified electrician but his family have made a lot of money through property in the local town.
During the winter months in the dark evenings he often has the entire area lit up like a football stadium while he builds, digs holes or just movies his big toys about.
This is a fantastic, beautiful part of the country where I grew up and plan to stay but he has completely destroyed it. Everyone around the area is tired of him but just mind their own business so he has continued for years. Is there anything that could be done? Where or who would I contact about such an issue?
18 REPLIES
WildRose52
Grafter

Re: Is there anything I can do?

I`d personally recommend a descret chat with the council - particularly about blocking the roads,/ and his building pursuits.
Also the Enviromental Health Dept if he has floodlights on beyond 11pm at night - and about the noises (there are Laws to
protect everyone else)
Might be a good idea to tell both of those Depts that you dont want him to know who complained.
Just in case this guy feels inclined to take revenge.    I say that because after I set about suing a roof many years ago for
having made a total cock up when his firm built me a new roof, he did take revenge and I got a brick through my front window.
Couldnt prove it was him, but even the Police said it likely was.
So err caution.
Community Veteran

I'd be talking to my local council environment department in the first place.  See what they have to say. One thing to remember though  is that if you upset him he might turn into a 'neighbour from hell'.  Try to involve a few of the others that don't like what's going on.
Community Veteran

I might do that. I suppose I could also speak to the local politicians. I imagine they will be calling at my door soon in the run up to the elections.
I am not at all concerned about ay sort of revenge. I know I would have the backing of a large number of people in the area if the issue was raised, many of whom have known me since I was in nappies Grin
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Sean go to your Council with Photos of watt is going on.
Community Veteran

I should have being taking photos a long time ago. I suppose I should start getting exapmles when the oportunities arise. Like everyone I do of course carry a digital camera in my pocket all the time.
WildRose52
Grafter

It`s a shame because it sounds nice where you live.
There`s always one that`s got to spoil it.
It will be interesting to see whether he`s got applied for permission to build whatever
it is he`s building.    He certainly wont be allowed to block the road, and a word with
the Police might help if he`s causing a danger for other traffic (including cyclists)
Good luck with it.  Hope you get your lovely area back to normal.
Community Veteran

There was a bit of dispute from what I heard about planning permission but recently another neighbour told me that he infact does have permission. It is not so much the building that is the problem but the equiptment continously moving about and associated noise and obstruction. The road is only totally obstructed for several minutes at a time while he moves things about but when it happens continously for years it becomes a big problem.
WildRose52
Grafter

What time of day is he making a noise?
I`m not sure but I think the Law states `not before 7am - and not after 11pm`
but I`m sure someone will correct me on that if I`m wrong.
That said, there`s also rules about noise generally, cause I know someone
who had all their music equipment forfeited for making undue noise in the daytime.
Still worth checking out.    He shouldnt be allowed to make other people`s lives
a misery.    Council should have thought of that when they give him permission
but then not everyone who builds a structure has all that sort of huge equipment.
So maybe the Council didnt anticipate it being that bad  (no doubt would have
done had it been in an area where a Councillor lived !)
Community Veteran

Sean's in N ireland so may have different regulations to the mainland.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Another one to watch out for, In England if you object to a planning application, you name will appear on the file for all to see
Community Veteran

Although I do live in NI I think as with most things, regulations are pretty much the same. As for time of day he is usually moving things around from about 6am up until around 11. Although I have heard him moving equiptment around or making repeated attempts to park the lorry at all sorts of times like 4 in the morning on many occasions.
I myself play the drums but in the interest of my neighbours I bought an electric kit for the house and only use my real kit for playing live etc.
Even with the electric kit I am careful with playing late in the evening because there is still a bit of noise from it. I would even try to close the car door quietely if I am out and about late in the evening or early in the morning.
torbayguy
Grafter

As you said, you have no idea what this guy does for a job, maybe moving the equipment around is part of the job?
Im sure he isnt driving a truck around for fun?
Perhaps talking to him instead of skulking around will do the trick?
If my neighbour reported me for driving my car early in the morning for example when I leave for work at 4.30am, I wouldnt be best pleased, and would rev the engine even more before I left!!
Community Veteran

I am sorry but you have completely missed the extent of this guys actions. I have watched him move equipment around and then back again over and over for absolutely no reason. And yes he is just driving the truck around for fun. He drives it to the end of the narrow country road then back again over and over then turns it several times in his own entry and the entrance to my cul de sac while blocking the road for several minutes at a time in each case. The truck is never away for more than 20 minutes at a time day or night so he cannot poossibly be hauling anything from anywhere to anywhere else.
As for driving your car, if it makes anywhere near as much noise as diggers, tractors and a truck then you should speak to your mechanic.
torbayguy
Grafter

So he spends all day driving up and down the lane in a truck or digger?